Quirk in Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I have found what appears to be a quirk in Windows Explorer (Windows 7 Ultimate).
    Sometimes, when clicking on a folder to open it, that folder slips to the bottom of the left pane, rather than to the center or top where I would be able to see all of the sub-folders.

This doesn't happen every time. I'm wondering whether it's a quirk with my mouse, or with Explorer.
    I'm using the default mouse drivers with my Logitech mouse. Perhaps installing the Logitech drivers would be best?

Anyone have this experience?

FW
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 8:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does the symptom occur every time on certain problematic folder? If so, I suggest you open "Folder Options" in Control Panel and restore the default settings. Otherwise, you can Upgrade the mouse driver to the latest one for a test.

Thanks,
    Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, November 6, 2009 7:29 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the symptom occur every time on certain problematic folder? If so, I suggest you open "Folder Options" in Control Panel and restore the default settings. Otherwise, you can Upgrade the mouse driver to the latest one for a test.

Thanks,
    Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Friday, November 6, 2009 7:29 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2009 3:36 AM
  • This does not happen every time, but often enough.
    I did try updating the mouse driver, but none is available.

FW
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Sunday, November 8, 2009 9:48 PM
  • Well then, it's one experience I would rather not have!
    It's annoying. I hope SP1 fixes it.

FW
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 7:21 PM
  • It has something to do with the opened folder above the folder you want to open. I.e. if the folder above is opened and expanded, then you double click to open the folder below it, Windows places the newly opened folder in the left pane to the bottom. If you close the above folder and try this again, then the opened folder is now at the centre.

Friday, July 16, 2010 1:46 PM
  • I have found what appears to be a quirk in Windows Explorer (Windows 7 Ultimate).
    Sometimes, when clicking on a folder to open it, that folder slips to the bottom of the left pane, rather than to the center or top where I would be able to see all of the sub-folders.

This doesn't happen every time. I'm wondering whether it's a quirk with my mouse, or with Explorer.
    I'm using the default mouse drivers with my Logitech mouse. Perhaps installing the Logitech drivers would be best?

Anyone have this experience?

FW

Just to confirm, I too, found this to be extremely annoying. I wish there was a way to turn off this behavior. It's making my upgrade to Windows 7 from XP pure hell. 

I get that it is a "Windows 7 experience" but come on. Who really thought this would be a good feature? Microsoft always ends up screwing things up when they "improve" usability. Wish they would check with users first before assuming. Sheesh. 

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:22 PM