Moving SCCM 2012 R2 SQL 2014 Database to New Server RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I have a SCCM 2012 R2 server with SQL 2014 installed which has been upgraded from SQL 2008 R2.  My goal is to separate the SCCM and SQL servers.  I am aware that SCCM only supports SQL 2014 if it has been upgraded on new installs, but after installing SQL 2014 on a new server and importing the database I get an error from the Configuration Manager Setup stating that I must upgrade the SQL server before I can modify the SQL Server configuration.  

Does this mean I need to install SQL 2008 or 2012 on the new DB server and from there upgrade to SQL 2014?

Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• This *might* help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3020755. Why do you want to move SQL off the server?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:48 PM
  • Does this mean I need to install SQL 2008 or 2012 on the new DB server and from there upgrade to SQL 2014?

This is an unusual situation but I would say, yes, that is possibly you have to do. Remember though that the ConfigMgr database has now been upgraded to SQL 2014 format so you could have problems doing this. However, as Torsten has asked, why go through this pain when your implementation is already optimal?

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  We have been having several issues with our current server, and have had performance issues with SQL and SCCM installed on the same server mainly during OSD deployments to several machines at the same time.  These servers wouldn't necessarily need to be separated since we can allocate more resources, but the overall goal is to move our primary site server to a new server running Server 2012 R2 (current server is 2008 R2).

I have tried the site recovery option in the installer where you run the SCCM backup and restore maintenance task and I have renamed the new server to the name of the old server.  If I understand correctly, this is the correct method of switching out a site server machine?  I experience the same error as my original post when trying this, but I will try the hotfix Torsten provided as this seems to be the issue I'm having.

Thank you.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:18 PM
  • You'll just have new problems when you move SQL off the CM server. ;-)

John Marcum | Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Client Management
    My blog: System Center Admin | Twitter: @SCCM_Marcum | Linkedin: John Marcum

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:30 PM
  • although you can upgrade to SQL 2014 there is still some "things" that you can't do when running on SQL 2014. I have seen issues with site restores.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk and SCUG.DK | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Author: Mastering System Center 2012 R2 The Fundamentals

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:55 PM
  • although you can upgrade to SQL 2014 there is still some "things" that you can't do when running on SQL 2014. I have seen issues with site restores.

That's why I posted the link above. The kb article takes care of it!

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, January 8, 2015 7:03 PM
  • The link Torsten posted solved the problem.  Thank you all for your help!
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:17 PM