How/when does IE10 sync settings across devices? Can it be triggered manually? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've come to like the sync'ing of history, favorites etc. between IE10 running on multiple Windows 8 PCs very much.

But I haven't been able to understand when the sync actually takes places. It seems that in some cases it doesn't, or maybe I have to wait (?) before e.g. a new favorite is propagated to other machines.

Next to that, I often "reorganize favorites" by moving them around the filesystem in Windows Explorer or even using scripts, as the "Organize favorites" feature within IE itself is just painfully slow and definitely not meant for heavy use (e.g. move all top-level favorites to a "Misc." subfolder).

How can I tell IE to "rescan" the filesystem and force a sync "out" (i.e. "to the cloud")?

How can I then tell IE on an other machine to force a sync "in" (i.e. "from the cloud")?

(if code needs to be written (C++/C#/PowerShell...) that's no problem for me)

Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I 'll involve someone who is familiar with it to check the issue.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 4, 2013 2:44 AM
  • Hi,

Your question falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by tracycai Monday, February 11, 2013 8:25 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by sba923 Monday, February 11, 2013 7:10 PM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Seriously, that is your answer?

Pay for an answer to an honest question about how an existing function works in a piece of software which clearly we hold license to if we are already using it?

Right now if I move a bookmark on one PC it doesn't move on the other, I just get a new copy in the location I had moved from.
    If I delete that one, it is replaced moments later.... we actually NEED a method to control direction of sync.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Pay for an answer to an honest question about how an existing function works

The cost of using closed source software.   An alternative would be to do some blackbox reverse engineering.   E.g. try running ProcMon to figure out how it works.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:28 PM
    Answerer