Access 2007 and Windows 7 and No System Data Sources Available in ODBC RRS feed

• Question

• We are piloting conversion to Windows 7. As a part of the pilot I need to set up a client's computer to use Access 2007 to attach to an Oracle database on a Linux server. The requirements of the 3rd party software are that the ODBC connection be set up as a System Data Source in ODBC. The ODBC set up works. Testing the connection using the Oracle ODBC driver works. Connection is listed under the System DSN tab in ODBC.

When I went MS Access to try and link to a table from the Oracle db, *no* System DSN's appear in on the Machine Data Source tab in the Select Data Source window; only User DSN's appear. The very *first* time I click on the New button in the Select Data Source window on a fresh boot of Windows 7 I get an error message that says:

ODBC System DSN Warning

You are logged in with non-Administrative privileges. System DSN's could not be created or modified.

But I *am* logged in as an administrator...

In addition, if I continue to click through and try to create a new User Data Source I get a long list of drivers - much longer that the list that is presented in ODBC in Administrative tools - a totally different list...

I have the RSAT for Windows 7, but want to ensure that this, in fact, will be the solution. Again I can *create* a System DSN via ODBC, but cannot *access* a System DSN in Access 2007.

Any and all constructive feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Verna Lewis

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:10 PM

Answers

• Hi Verna,

This issue should be better posted on Access Forum. Thank you very much for your understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 27, 2010 2:10 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Verna,

This issue should be better posted on Access Forum. Thank you very much for your understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, August 27, 2010 2:10 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Apologies. Will post there.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 5:33 PM
  • I have seen multiple Microsoft Moderators ask that ODBC / DSN issues be posted in application-specific forums. But I believe that this is a mistake. The ODBC/DSN problems being described are not specific to any one application. Rather, it is a problem that appears in Windows 7 generally.

A DSN is a Database Source Name. It is used in ODBC connectivity. DSNs can be integrated into the registry or stored as files.

I too am having problems creating System DSNs in Windows 7. I can create them, but then I cannot modify them. Also, I cannot create or modify File DSNs. 

To create and modify DSNs in Windows, query Data Sources (ODBC) or run %windir%\system32\odbcad32.exe

Microsoft Support, could you please investigate this and take it seriously?

Saturday, September 4, 2010 12:53 AM
  • This looks like more of a Windows 7 system issue.  See the Technet thread below:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproappcompat/thread/b197cff0-dfc4-4724-97f7-66b8a0ea2d5

Rick
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 11:55 PM