Disconnect WSUS server and Importing Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Lawrence:

Thanks, again, for the information in replying to my previous question on Disconnected WSUS and Approvals.   I have another question, to deal with an unfortunate event that occurred.   

I had both an Internet Connected WSUS and the disconnected WSUS.   I had been importing both updates and meta data into both.   However, unfortunately, we took a hard failure on the Connected WSUS.   Issues with both server hardware RAID and backups prevented us from recovering the Connected WSUS.   I won't get into that, since I now have a new server with brand new hardware and drives.   Also, given, that the only thing that was running on the old Connected box was WSUS, it is simply a matter of installing Windows Server 2012 R2, installing WSUS, re-acquiring clients workstations and downloading updates from the Microsoft site.   However, I'm concerned about the Disconnected WSUS, since I probably don't really understand what will happen during the importing process, from the new Connected WSUS.

Let's say that, I get to setting up another Connected WSUS server in a couple of weeks time, due to other work committments.   I then prepare the metadata and updates for importing from the Connected WSUS into the Disconnected WSUS, are there any issues that I need to be aware of.   Is there going to be a conflict between what currently exists on the disconnected WSUS (from previous imports) and the new import from the new Connected WSUS, if a certain amount of time has passed.   Are there issues with updates that currently exist on the Disconnected WSUS, that may have benn superceded by an update during that timegap?

If there are issues, can I simply reset the Disconnected WSUS server before the import.   When I say reset, I'm thinking about any way that I can erase all the metadata and updates from the Disconnected WSUS.   The client workstations won't care, I believe.   That way, the import of the new metadata and updates, will be as if, we are importing into a clean Disconnected WSUS. 

I can then generate the new "Needed" list and proceed from there.

Even, if there are no issues with the Disconnected WSUS, I'm wondering if there is a way to erase all existing updates from an existing WSUS installation, without adding and removing the WSUS role from the Windows Server 2012.   You can remove the updates from the WSUSContent folder, but that still leaves all the metadata in the WID DB.  

Any information would be appreciated.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:22 PM

Answers

• "As per your previous thread, the disconnected WSUS, when you perform export/import, the database is completely re-written during the import."

- that statement confuses me a bit.   I had assumed that new updates are added to the DB, during the import, but that existing updates are not overwritten, or at least the approval history is not overwritten.   Can you provide more information on this.  Thanks.

Sorry, I could have worded that more clearly...

The list of updates, is re-written, i.e. it's not a delta/differential/merging of the list of updates.

Yes, to my knowledge, existing approvals (stored in a different table) are preserved.

To be honest, I have never actually reviewed the relevant SP code, and am going by previous discussions...

(if Lawrence were here, he would be challenging me to quote my sources ;)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Thomas Wong25 Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:47 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

sadly, Lawrence is no longer with us. His reply to you on 5th Feb was one of the last responses here from him before he passed away.

The rest of us will do our best to assist you.

As per your previous thread, the disconnected WSUS, when you perform export/import, the database is completely re-written during the import.

It doesn't matter which server is used for the connected WSUS, other than the standard requirements for operating a disconnected WSUS (e.g. the products, classifications, languages etc must be taken into consideration).

The WSUSContent itself, is the same across all WSUS globally (i.e. if KB123456 = GUID 0123456789, on your connected WUS, the same occurs on your disconnected WSUS, and also on my WSUS), so there's no need to destroy the WSUSContent, since WSUS will only download exactly the same content with exactly the same names/GUIDS all over again)

Unless you have concerns that the WSUSContent is damaged in some way, e.g. by a server crash..

The database and the metadata produced from the data in the database, plus all your choices about products, classifications, languages, groups, approvals, declines, and all the client history for reporting etc, may be what's important to you.

You could use SSMS to discard all the SUSDB database information, and leave WID itself intact (because uninstalling/reinstalling WID can be troublesome) and then (probably) re-run the WSUS configuration steps to re-create the SUSDB ?

Also, note that some people have had troubles when using differing WindowsServer versions in a WSUS implementation (e.g. USS/DSS are differing versions, can be an issue) I assume that your connected WSUS, and your disconnected WSUS are the same Windows version?

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Hi Don:

That's very sad, that Lawrence has passed away.   My condolences to his family.

If you don't mind, I have a few questions to clarify:

• To answer you questions, yes, both the disconnected and connected are at the same Windows version.   Specifically,  Windows Server 2012 R2.
    • "As per your previous thread, the disconnected WSUS, when you perform export/import, the database is completely re-written during the import." - that statement confuses me a bit.   I had assumed that new updates are added to the DB, during the import, but that existing updates are not overwritten, or at least the approval history is not overwritten.   Can you provide more information on this.  Thanks.
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 3:44 PM
    • "As per your previous thread, the disconnected WSUS, when you perform export/import, the database is completely re-written during the import." - that statement confuses me a bit.   I had assumed that new updates are added to the DB, during the import, but that existing updates are not overwritten, or at least the approval history is not overwritten.   Can you provide more information on this.  Thanks.

It depends on what switches you use to import the metadata. You have a choice to import approvals, if you leave that switch out it will import the updates into the database but not the approvals.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Strange:

I didn't think that you could export approvals to be imported.   See the link below:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708604%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

What switch are you referring to?

Thursday, February 26, 2015 5:41 PM
  • "As per your previous thread, the disconnected WSUS, when you perform export/import, the database is completely re-written during the import."

- that statement confuses me a bit.   I had assumed that new updates are added to the DB, during the import, but that existing updates are not overwritten, or at least the approval history is not overwritten.   Can you provide more information on this.  Thanks.

Sorry, I could have worded that more clearly...

The list of updates, is re-written, i.e. it's not a delta/differential/merging of the list of updates.

Yes, to my knowledge, existing approvals (stored in a different table) are preserved.

To be honest, I have never actually reviewed the relevant SP code, and am going by previous discussions...

(if Lawrence were here, he would be challenging me to quote my sources ;)

Don

• Marked as answer by Thomas Wong25 Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:47 PM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:54 PM
  • Thanks, very much, Don.
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:47 PM