Upgrading same hardware from Win2k3r2 to Win2k8r2 - WSUS questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a good server with good specs and have purchased a Win2k8r2 license that I intend to use to upgrade the server from Win2k3r2 to 2k8r2.  I will be doing a clean install, in other words I will format the drive(s) on the server and install Win2k8r2 as a fresh install.

My question is:  I have WSUS installed on the server now and want to use the new OS/install to run WSUS.  I have some good articles to help me install and configure WSUS on Win2k8r2.  I will be using the same server name and ip address for the new install.  Do I need to do anything with my GPO or any other settings or can I just leave it alone and it will just work after I get the WSUS setup on the new server install due to me using the same server name and IP?    thank u
    Friday, January 6, 2017 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi Poly Admin,

>Do I need to do anything with my GPO or any other settings or can I just leave it alone and it will just work after I get the WSUS setup on the new server install due to me using the same server name and IP? 

You can leave the GPO with the original settings, if you use the name of the WSUS server in WSUS URL, please ensure the new WSUS server register itself to DNS server with the correct record.

After the new WSUS server is set up, check if clients would show up in the WSUS server and report to the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Monday, January 9, 2017 3:04 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 7:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Poly Admin,

>Do I need to do anything with my GPO or any other settings or can I just leave it alone and it will just work after I get the WSUS setup on the new server install due to me using the same server name and IP? 

You can leave the GPO with the original settings, if you use the name of the WSUS server in WSUS URL, please ensure the new WSUS server register itself to DNS server with the correct record.

After the new WSUS server is set up, check if clients would show up in the WSUS server and report to the WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Poly Admin Monday, January 9, 2017 3:04 PM
    Monday, January 9, 2017 7:11 AM
  • Ok - I will proceed and use the same server name and ip address settings and expect it to work.  If the clients show up in the new WSUS server I will know it is working.  thank you
    Monday, January 9, 2017 3:04 PM