none
Hit 5000 item limit in doc library, can't get to files no matter what I try

Question

• We have a document library of PDF files that has hit the 5000 item limit.  We aren't using folders in this library--we are using a mix of managed and non-managed metadata.  I've tried every combination of views and filters and can NOT get past the "This view cannot be displayed because it exceeds the list view threshold" screen.  The library has 5010 files in it and I've created views where I KNOW it would only show a much smaller amount of files than 5000 and it still won't let me get past that threshold message.

What gives?  I even tried opening the library in explorer view and it's just empty.  I also tried indexing one of the columns and filtering based on that column and it still didn't work.  How am I supposed to get access to the files so I can manage them?

Thursday, May 4, 2017 12:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Adam,

I recommend to create a view with a filter set with “ID<3000” in the library to see what happens.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Adam C Carter Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:15 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

I recommend to create a view with a filter set with “ID<3000” in the library to see what happens.

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Adam C Carter Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:15 PM
    Thursday, May 4, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Thank you!  I was pulling my hair out, haha.

Thursday, May 4, 2017 4:15 PM