none
Deployment workbench from Windows 10 machine instead of server??

Question

• Hi,
    I have looked and cant seem to find the answer to this...Do I need to have a server in order to use Workbench to update a handful of computers from Win7 to Win10? I know that having the server can make it a whole lot easier and streamlined if you have a lot workstations to update, but I only have a few and it wouldn't make cense to implement this from a server for only a few machines.
    I have the MDT installed on a Windows 10 laptop. I have created the MDTProduction share and confirmed it is accessible over the network from other machines. I have the ISO file and a wim file added under the OS folder (Would like to use the preconfigured wim, but just trying the Windows ISO files to eliminate the wim being the issue), as well as the task sequence created.
    When I try to run the \\laptopname\mdtproduction$\scripts\litetouch.vbs from the computer I want to upgrade, It fails pretty quick in the process..
    I was under the impression I could just use a laptop, but seem to be running into a bunch of errors and just curious if they are because the MDTProduction share is not on a server that has services that a normal win10 pro version doesn't have.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

Friday, August 10, 2018 5:34 PM

All replies

• Well, two things.

A server is useful to MDT primarily for Windows Deployment Services (PXE booting).  Without a server you can just burn the ISO to a CD or DVD and boot the machine from that.

Secondly, if I understand you correctly, you're trying to run litetouch.vbs from the online Windows 7 install.  That won't work if you're looking to install an OS, unless I'm mistaken.  You have to boot the machine to the boot disk mentioned earlier, which will boot into WinPE and start the wizard.

Friday, August 10, 2018 6:47 PM
  • Thanks for the reply and help.

Yes, I was trying to run litetouch.vbs from a WIndows7 machine that I am trying to upgrade to Win10. 

Basically I have 2 machines on the same network- 

Machine #1-  WIndows 10 laptop that I have installed/Configured the MDT/ Deployment Workbench- Adding the Task sequence and OS files through via the Workbench GUI.On this laptop I have also created a shared folder named MDTProduction$ that contains all of the OS files.  This is the machine I am trying to use in place of the server.

Machine#2 is the Windows 7 workstation that I am trying to upgrade to Windows 10. From this machine booting into Windows 7, I am going to command prompt and running \\#machine#1\MDTProduction$\Scripts\LiteTouch.vbs to start the upgrade. It is starting the upgrade process. It will ask me to choose the task which I created in the workbench on the laptop,(first picture below), which I do. and then it will ask a bunch of questions as far as activation key for win 10 license, where to backup the computer info, etc. But when it starts the process I get an error. 

figure 4

Thanks again for the help. 

Friday, August 10, 2018 8:20 PM
  • Have you installed the ADK on your Windows 10 MDT laptop? Just wondering as that would make it fail, and you don't make mention of it in your description of your MDT setup.

If you haven't, get the latest version as it supports deploying Windows 10 1803 (and older Win10 versions).

Monday, August 13, 2018 1:19 AM
  • Without any detailed information I am afraid we won't be able to help you. You can certainly use a workstation as a deployment server for inplace upgrades, but please be aware that there are certain limitations involved (for example max number of simultaneous connections)

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, August 13, 2018 11:59 AM
  • Sorry I forgot to mention that, but Yes. I have installed ADK on the Win10 (1803) laptop. 

Monday, August 13, 2018 2:36 PM
  • Thank you for the reply..Sorry, I guess that is the part where I am partially confused. I have experience capturing/deploying images with WInPE and DISM (Windows 10), but new to Deployment workbench. . I have tried to read up on it, but Im more of a visual learner. Just to clarify though, I am trying to use the Deploymentworkbench to upgrade from the Win7 to Win10. I am just booting up the Windows 7 machine that I need to upgrade, opening up CMD and running the \\laptopname\mdtproduction$\scripts\litetouch.vbs.

A server is useful to MDT primarily for Windows Deployment Services (PXE booting).  Without a server you can just burn the ISO to a CD or DVD and boot the machine from that. 

Are you saying that (since I dont have the server) that I need to boot the To-Be-upgraded Win7 machine from say a WinPE bootable thumb drive and then run the \\laptopname\mdtproduction$\scripts\litetouch.vbs ? 

Secondly, if I understand you correctly, you're trying to run litetouch.vbs from the online Windows 7 install. 

Yes, l am running \\laptopname\mdtproduction$\scripts\litetouch.vbs from the Windows 7 computer that I am trying to upgrade.  When I configured the task sequence in the Workbench, I had configured it to apply a  Windows10 .WIM image that I have captured from another machine of the same make/model and configuation that I want. 

Sorry again, Im trying to learn this...

Monday, August 13, 2018 3:30 PM