Unable to start Windows firewall on WIndows 2008 R2 server (and also unable to ping or remote) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have a windows 2008 R2 server. When trying to turn on the WIndows firwall it is throwing the error and is unable to start. The error is 'Windows could not start Windows firewall,....., refer to service specific error code 5'.

I have installed few of the softwares on it (like MSXML, security analyzer, etc). And after restarting the machine this problem started.

And because of this, i believe i am unable to ping the server nor able to remorte it.

Did any one come across this issue?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 2:46 PM

Answers

• No, we don't have any third party antivirus installed. Event viewer also doesn't give any specific details, it says - 'Service specific error code 5'.
    same issue with you : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996 , it for Windows Vista, but I think it works the same with Windows 2008.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Rick Tan Monday, August 15, 2011 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:41 PM

All replies

• can you post event viewer ID related to this error ? is there any third party antivirus / firewall ?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:22 PM
  • No, we don't have any third party antivirus installed. Event viewer also doesn't give any specific details, it says - 'Service specific error code 5'.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:26 PM
    same issue with you : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943996 , it for Windows Vista, but I think it works the same with Windows 2008.
    • Marked as answer by Rick Tan Monday, August 15, 2011 2:20 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hi, thanks for this link, will test this and get back to you.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 3:56 PM