Missing mail in Outlook 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I keep having mail go missing in folders in Outlook 2013. I may open a folder, click on a message I saved previously, see the message for a couple of seconds and watch it disappear, not to be found again anywhere. The messages seem to disappear at random, not dependent on size, date, attachment present, etc. I have lost quotes to customers, replies, all sorts of things. I am now quite scared to file anything and have started to print important e-mails so as not to lose them! The mailbox is configured as IMAP and I'm using about 1/2 of my allocated space.

Please help, I was quite keen to get away from Microsoft Outlook when I moved to Windows 7 (when XP got out of support) but couldn't find anything that was business friendly and stored on a local machine. We are based in an area with appalling broadband speeds so cloud applications are out of the questions.  

Thanks

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 11:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

How about recreating the account in Outlook? As the emails are still online, try to create the account again to check if it will download all emails.

Note Please configure the sync filter to "All":

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, December 11, 2015 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As you mentioned it's an IMAP account in Outlook, have you checked if the missing emails are still on the Web?

In case the emails are not visible due to any view settings, I suggest you start Outlook with the "/cleanviews" switch:

Press Win + R, type "outlook.exe /cleanviews" in the Run window, press Enter.

I also suggest you check if you have setup the account on any mobile devices like a phone, in case the messages are removed by it.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Hi Melon,

Thanks for the reply. The mail is on the web but I can't see it on the desktop. When I typed outlook.exe/cleanviews I got an error message 'Windows cannot find outlook.exe/cleanviews. Make sure that you typed the name correctly and retry'.

I've got my Windows phone configured to receive e-mails from this domain but can only ever see the Inbox, the folder structure doesn't get downloaded onto the phone.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

You got the error message since you need a space between "outlook.exe" and "/cleanviews".

If the emails are still available on web, as IMAP syncs between the web/server and local, the emails should also be available on local, but somehow you just can't see them. I think you should try the /cleanviews again and let me know the result.

For the phone, if the folder structure doesn't get downloaded onto the phone, probably you configured the account via POP3, which "downloads" the emails to devices but doesn't download the folder structure.

Regards,

Melon Chen

Thursday, December 10, 2015 1:39 AM
  • Thanks so much for the reply. I've tried the cleanviews. It made a 'blip' on the screen and seem to open another version of Outlook. The messages were still not there. When I log onto the web the messages are there and simultaneously not there in Outlook. I've restarted Outlook but no difference.

With regards to the phone I'm not that bothered, seeing Inbox is fine as I don't use it for e-mail that much but thanks for the hint, if I change my mind I'll change the settings :-)

Thursday, December 10, 2015 10:24 AM
  • Hi,

How about recreating the account in Outlook? As the emails are still online, try to create the account again to check if it will download all emails.

Note Please configure the sync filter to "All":

Regards,

Melon Chen

Friday, December 11, 2015 1:37 AM