none
Update 1607 won't complete or stop restarting my machine

Question

• Update 1607 has been cycling in my updates for months now, but it seems to taken a new step in its evolution.  It restarts my machine every time it tries to install, though it fails every time without apparent cause.  Then when I log in, it auto-schedules a restart in 15 minutes.

How do I delete the update (since it fails to install), stop it from installing, or make it finally complete?  I'm not opposed to 1607, except for the fact that it's slowly driving me mad and making my computer annoying to use.

Monday, April 10, 2017 2:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

See if suggestions mentioned here helps:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-anniversary-update-failed-to-install

Hope this helps, Good luck :)

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Monday, April 10, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Hi Kaen,

A good news, Microsoft has released Windows 10 1703 version, which including more features and improvements. What is worth mentioning, 1703 version gives user more right to control Windows Update, I suggest to upgrade this new version to enjoy more friendly user experience.

Please visit the following website and click Update now, upgrade process is simple and easy.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:18 AM
  • I tried this one, but it seems to have failed.  I downloaded the update, performed the update, it rebooted a couple times, then displays 'Restoring your previous version of Windows' at the bottom of the screen before reloading, then the Updates screen still shows it's waiting to deploy 1607.

How do I get rid of 1607?  Isn't there like a folder to delete?  SoftwareDistribution or something?

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:33 PM
  •  Isn't there like a folder to delete?  SoftwareDistribution or something?

Did you try the WU Troubleshooter (as suggested in Kapil's help page)?  If you want to check on what it is doing you can run ProcMon, filtering on Operation Is Process Exit.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 7:17 PM
  • Yes, Windows Update troubleshooter worth trying.

Besides, you could download media creation tool, which will help you download complete iso image file, use iso to upgrade system is easy.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:18 AM