none
MDT 2013 Deployment - The following network devices do not have a driver installed. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded to MDT 2013 running on Windows Server 2012 R2 from MDT 2012 running on Windows 7. I moved my deployment shares over and could successfully capture images to the shares. When trying to deploy to an HP Probook 650 G2 I get the error above as soon as WinPE boots up. I'm rather familiar with this error as I've had to deal with it a few times before, but the problem was always simply missing the required driver in MDT. This time however, I've quadruple checked that the driver is indeed in MDT and does get injected into the LiteTouch iso. I haven't made any changes to how drivers are handled, but the deployment worked fine in MDT 2012.

The hardware ID missing a driver: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1570&SUBSYS_80FD103C&REV_21

The driver I am trying to get it to install: Intel Net E1D62x64.INF 12.13.17.7 (Download name: Intel I219LM/V Gigabit Ethernet Driver).

I've ensured this driver does indeed get injected into the LiteTouch.iso both by watching the output of updating the deployment share and by using dbgview to watch a more detailed log of the update. I've completely regenerated the boot images a few times.

I guess my question is if MDT changed how drivers are handled in MDT 2013, or if I'm just missing something. 

Update - I got my hands on a spare desktop (HP Compaq 8200 Elite Convertible Minitower) and confirmed that the deployment does indeed work on it. It seems the problem is specific to the ProBook 650 G2.

• Edited by Dakota Jones Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:46 PM Update
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 3:25 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your persistence Ty, looks like both my issues were rather simple overlooks from a while back.

For the 650 G2s I was still trying to use the Windows 7 version of the driver. I hadn't thought about it since it had been so long since importing the drivers.

As for other machines I mentioned, I had used a script to mass-import drivers into MDT based on make/model that didn't distinguish duplicate drivers. I went through to removed a lot of duplicate drivers and apparently got a little carried away, the other machines didn't have Ethernet drivers in the full OS because I had deleted them.

Your suggestions prodded me the right way though, thanks for your time!

• Marked as answer by Dakota Jones Monday, July 25, 2016 8:01 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2016 8:01 PM

All replies

• This is slightly off topic and possibly worth a separate question, but deployment on that spare desktop doesn't show in monitoring and it doesn't write logs to my specified SLShare or SLShareDynamicLogging. Capturing an image did both of these. Thoughts?
    Thursday, July 21, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Here are some clues I found searching on MDT I219LM: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/f785257a-8e88-43c7-93af-feb2f7a516c1/osd-issues-using-i219lm-integrated-network-card-dell-in-particular?forum=configmanagerosd

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Hi Ty,

Doesn't look like quite the same issue. My deployment doesn't get to the point of selecting a task sequence, so having the right updates in my image capture wouldn't affect my connection. Unless that link is suggesting injecting the updates into the boot image made by MDT?

Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:00 PM
  • Use the stuff that was marked as answers. It is the same thing.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:42 PM
  • I'm not sure how they're the same thing. I could very well just be understanding poorly, but to me it seem that their issue was with their image capture needing updates. One of the marked answers blamed faulty drivers, the other said that to fix it you need to either inject two specific updates into your .wim prior to deploying or install them on your machine prior to capturing. My deployment never reaches a stage where the image I captured matters, it can't even connect to the deployment share, so it couldn't be relevant.

Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:59 PM
  • WinPE will have the same requirements as the OS that matches in order to get that driver to work in WinPE.

Friday, July 22, 2016 1:42 AM
  • Are you using Total Control from this post? http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Friday, July 22, 2016 1:47 AM
  • Yes, I am. Right now I'm only working with deploying Windows 7, so my folder structure is:

Out-of-Box Drivers > Windows 7 x64 > %Makes% > %Models%

Out-of-Box Drivers > Windows PE > %Makes% > %Models%

The makes and models sub-folders for the WinPE folder are purely for organization as I inject the entire WinPE folder into the boot WIM when updating the deployment share.

So I could inject those two Windows Updates from your earlier linked post directly into the WinPE WIM?

• Edited by Dakota Jones Friday, July 22, 2016 1:56 PM Formatting
    Friday, July 22, 2016 1:12 PM
  • I successfully added both KB3140743 and KB3140768 to the boot.wim created by MDT by using DISM /addpackage. I still get the same error when booting from the new WinPE.
    Friday, July 22, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Will you post a link to your logs?

Friday, July 22, 2016 4:53 PM
  • I don't have a bdd.log or smsts.log to link since deployment doesn't progress far enough, but here is my DISM.log:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuR2icNYGTHsjBMwfUogjj0KgO-K

as well as the output of DebugView from generating the boot images from scratch:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuR2icNYGTHsjBLhz6EuR5fSyuGN

Let me know if I'm missing a different log.

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:13 PM
  • I completely rebuilt the MDT server from scratch with no success. It was a long shot but I'm not sure what else to try. Machines other than the Probook 650 g2 get the correct WinPE drivers, but get a "network driver missing" error when booting to the full OS after install even though the correct network driver is included in the installation.
    Monday, July 25, 2016 4:53 PM
  • So the NIC you are talking about is a child device.  Boot to some full OS.

• Open up device manager.
    • View Devices By Connection
    • Find the NIC and see if there is a parent device to it that needs a driver.

It might also be interesting to simplify and just add what you need to get this model to boot in WinPE.  I see a lot of drivers added to WinPE that are not needed.  Only add what is required to get connectivity and access to storage devices.

Since this is WinPE 10 it should be the NDIS 65 driver.

Have you found anything on their forums regarding that model?

Monday, July 25, 2016 6:09 PM
  • Thank you for your persistence Ty, looks like both my issues were rather simple overlooks from a while back.

For the 650 G2s I was still trying to use the Windows 7 version of the driver. I hadn't thought about it since it had been so long since importing the drivers.

As for other machines I mentioned, I had used a script to mass-import drivers into MDT based on make/model that didn't distinguish duplicate drivers. I went through to removed a lot of duplicate drivers and apparently got a little carried away, the other machines didn't have Ethernet drivers in the full OS because I had deleted them.

Your suggestions prodded me the right way though, thanks for your time!

• Marked as answer by Dakota Jones Monday, July 25, 2016 8:01 PM
    Monday, July 25, 2016 8:01 PM