none
AD - change default location to a new trusted domain

Question

• I have successfully made a new forest on our LAN, and established a trust relationship so now my domain LONDON appears as well as AD.LONDON.CO.UK when I check security. I realise when I login as LONDON\rob then the default when I change file permissions is LONDON.

Is there a way, on a server that is still in the LONDON domain, to have it default to AD.LONDON.CO.UK when I check the properties/security of a folder?

At the moment it shows entire directory/london, and below that is ad.london.co.uk which I have to select to find objects in that forest.

Friday, February 3, 2017 10:46 AM

Answers

• The only answer that I have had from several sources is that you can't change the default domain that is seen on a server - it always displays the joined domain first. So there isn't a positive "answer" - it's just "that's how it is"
    • Marked as answer by robatwork Friday, February 10, 2017 8:40 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 8:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

What is the reason for keeping the two domains? Are you moving to the ad.london.co.uk domain forest?

When you are logging in which domain is the PC connected too?

Kind Regards,

Tom

TPark IT Technician

Friday, February 3, 2017 10:54 AM
  • Hi Rob,

What is the reason for keeping the two domains? Are you moving to the ad.london.co.uk domain forest?

When you are logging in which domain is the PC connected too?

Yes exactly that - we will be moving to ad.london.co.uk  (obviously this is a spoofed name)

The Server I am connecting to is on LONDON, as am I (ie the old domain). I want permissions on that server to default to ad.london.co.uk for me

Friday, February 3, 2017 11:04 AM
  • Hi,
    As far as I know, it could not be done, as the two forests are still separate forest, and the default location should be the own domain which is the London domain in your environment.

Alternatively, as you are planning moving domain, you could consider to use ADMT to migrate the user account from old domain into AD.LONDON.CO.UK domain, and log on with new account, then see if the default location is changed
    You could see more details about ADMT from: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc974368%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    Best Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 6, 2017 5:23 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, February 10, 2017 8:32 AM
  • The only answer that I have had from several sources is that you can't change the default domain that is seen on a server - it always displays the joined domain first. So there isn't a positive "answer" - it's just "that's how it is"
    • Marked as answer by robatwork Friday, February 10, 2017 8:40 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Hi,
    Appreciate for your feedback and share, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Monday, February 13, 2017 2:26 AM