none
meet windows update error, after upgrade from windows 7 beta to windows 7 RC. error code: 80072EFE RRS feed

• Question

• meet windows update error, after upgrade from windows 7 beta to windows 7 RC. error code: 80072EFE

beta: 7000 to RC1 7100. windows update not work any more. network is OK, i can access internet

铅笔小新
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 3:35 AM

Answers

All replies

• Upgrade from 7000 is not supported. Do a clean install or return to Vista SP1 and upgrade from that.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:35 AM
  • not support? base on the blog of Window 7 team.

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/

we only need change a value in INI file is enough.

my upgrade is OK. from 7000 to 7100.

but windows update always meet error. beta1 have no issue.
    铅笔小新
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:50 AM
  • Based on that blog it's not supported and they warn you that you WILL get problems.
    Read it again.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 11:22 AM
  • i already got to know 80072EFE is not a new issue, some users already meet this since Vista. this is mainly caused by network connection speed is low or ISP connection restriction...

i change my network enviroment to LAN instead of Wireless, Windows RC update works well.

support is support. even though upgrade may meet problems, they should not be related to windows update feature. this is not a new feature and no need to update feature logic anymore.

windows team already expose this method to let tester to upgrade from 7000 to 7100, it means, no P1 or high P bugs there, though no one make sure it is bug free. Hack in software in really common.

铅笔小新
    • Edited by 铅笔小新 Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:59 PM update
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:59 PM
  • We'll do what we can to help here - but the development team will not place a priority on helping with this sort of upgrade.
    This is because this isn't a scenario that's likely to be seen by many users when Win7 is released.

The purpose of the Beta and RC releases is to get information that will help make the Final release go smoothly.
    - John
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 12:40 PM
    Answerer
  • I have exactly the same error code and I did NOT upgrade from any previous beta. I was running Vista Home Premium but then did a clean install. I have been able to get  updates since installing the RC1 on the day it was released but suddenly I am now getting this error. Began today. Tried to get updates and received Error code 80072EFE. Can someone tell  me what I need to do please?

TG
    Monday, May 11, 2009 5:49 PM
  • technogranny,

If you still have this problem, then try running the fast and easy tdssrootkill tool in this thread (abuadnan's post).

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistaie/thread/0ce7c1e6-7ef2-48e1-b7c9-c8f1e97c71d5

Here is the direct link.....

http://support.kaspersky.com/downloads/utils/tdsskiller.exe

It gets rid of a nasty trojan that many virus detectors dont detect.   The trojan causes more problems than just not being able to get updates.

Read the comments of the happy campers in that thread (bottom half) who ran that great program - its free and only takes 5 min. 

Spread the word if it worked for you too.   This is not getting the credit it deserves, and the result of that is alot of wasted time going around the problem through complex windows settings that dont remedy the trojan.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:54 AM
  • I've been reading this error listed as related to a rootkit problem.  And other people have listed it as network card related.

One thing i found that was my network properies showed that under " active networks " I was connected to " public " as well as " home ".

Nothing i could do would remove the public network.

Another problem I had was occasionally I had no internet access.  If i disabled the network card under the device manager and re-enable it i was awarded internet access again.  So i replaced the microsoft driver and installed the genuine broadcom driver.  But the problem still occured albeit less often.

So i rummaged through my stuff and found that with my dsl modem came a network card.  I installed this thinking it would be a complete waste of time.  And success all my updates work just fine.

I believe that my network card isn't truly faulty just fully supported by the operating system.

Why is this you ask? The computer is the HP d530 sff.  Originally installed with XP PRO.  I did not upgrade to 7, i did a complete new black hard drive install to Win7.

It seemed to work fine other than the occasional problem with not being to do windows updates.

I recommend for anyone having this problem to attempt a new network access method.  Other forum posts people complain of installing all kinds of rootkit removers and all kinds of antivirus detectors. 

Monday, February 21, 2011 12:47 AM
  • SameProblemAsThatGuy Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals Users Medals "I recommend for anyone having this problem to attempt a new network access method.  Other forum posts people complain of installing all kinds of rootkit removers and all kinds of antivirus detectors. "

---  Referring to my oct 13 post before yours - Your post didn't say if you tried running the simple to use rootkill program first?   Its very easy for beginners to do and does no harm to try it.  Very elegant - and its not intalling all kinds of things (like spare network cards)

It does no harm to try it before tinkering with network access methods and locating cards to install (which can be especially hard for average users like me to do).. 

Takes all of 5 minutes from the download and solves so many other symptoms besides just the update problem. 

If it doesn't help, then no harm is done.   Its just too simple to do before these other things.

Saturday, March 5, 2011 4:05 AM