Cannot open Word doc. Error: document name or path is not valid RRS feed

• Question

• i asked this question in a directly related thread without noticing it was closed and most likely not to be viewed by anyone ever again, so i'll ask it in my own qustion.  btw, the solution listed in that other thread with the remarkably similar name did NOT work for me.

anyhow, here we are:
    i'm running winXP sp3, word XP fully updated, etc...etc...etc...
    the document we can not open was NOT received via email as with some other people.  it was created by the girl on her work laptop with a stock ghost image we use, so i know there's nothing kooky on her system that's not on mine--this happens on both of our computers btw, so that elimates a lot of things.  it does open in wordpad, but she had formatting on it that wordpad loses, so she'd rather not use that route.  going into word and doing file, open does not work either.
    temp files have been cleared (but that's most likely moot since it happens on a sales girl's machine and an IT guy's machine--we don't run in the same circles of documents and websites), office and winXP are both current as far as updates, this is not a virus--nor a naming issue (the file is called "manual.doc").
    anyone have any suggestions?  i saw a suggestion somewhere that this may be a "smart tags" issue within the document...anyone care to comment or maybe provide some insight and perhaps a solution?
    Friday, November 27, 2015 11:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Have you tried this KB?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/832890

Office XP is an very old version that using an old binary file format. Based on your description, >> it was created by the girl on her work laptop with a stock ghost image we use, <<, Which was the version of Office that the girl using? You'd better using the same version to create the file to test.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, November 30, 2015 3:22 AM

All replies

• It always helps if you provide a link to related information... Otherwise, those reading this message will probably end up making the same suggestions and wasting everybody's time.

This does not look like a programming issue, especially since you state "going into word and doing file, open does not work either".

Most likely, it's a damaged document and, since it's the old binary file format, cannot be fully recovered. But I'm going to move the question to the IT Pro forum where they deal more with that kind of thing and perhaps someone there will have suggestions.

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

Friday, November 27, 2015 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried this KB?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/832890

Office XP is an very old version that using an old binary file format. Based on your description, >> it was created by the girl on her work laptop with a stock ghost image we use, <<, Which was the version of Office that the girl using? You'd better using the same version to create the file to test.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, November 30, 2015 3:22 AM