Shared Content Store on File Share RRS feed

• Question

• Good Afternoon:

I'm trying use Shared Content Store.  If I host it locally on the server, it works fine.  However, if I point it to a network share, publishing fails.  In the event log I get an error 14012 indicating that the package couldn't be configured because the package store location is not on a valid NTFS file system.

The PackageInstallRoot is configured as \\server\share\scs.  When I sync, I see that appv creates the SCS folder in the share.  It then hangs and generates the error.  The package is added manually with add-appvclientpackage.

If you can't host the shared content store on a remote system...I don't understand it's purpose.  I understood it to be a content store (c:\programdata\app-v) that was shared among multiple machines... is that not correct?

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:00 PM

Answers

• PackageInstallRoot is not the contentstore.

The contentstore, is the location where all packages are initially stored (so you can distribute from here).
    The PackageInstallRoot, is the location where they are stored in cache on your client.

If you are going to configure Shared Content Store, you still need to configure PackageInstallRoot (leave it default), and keep all packages on a SMB3 network share. As soon as you add those packages on the client (UNC-path), FB0 will be configured in PackageInstallRoot (max. a couple of Mb per package). As soon as you start your application, FB1 and 2 are NOT downloaded into cache. That's the difference between SCS on/off.

So basically, as soon as SCS is on, you keep streaming data from your network share. That's why it's only advised to configure for VDI/PVS, because your workstation is in your datacenter, next to it's contentstore.

Roy Essers

Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:45 AM