none
Client Domain Name Change

Question

• Hi!

I have an quick question. Is it possible to change the domain that a client PC (Windows 10) is using? Here's the scenario and why i'm asking...

Have a domain controller running Server 2012 R2 that is on the example.asi domain, and of course all of the clients (which are all Windows 10 Pro) are all connected to. I want to change the domain using the rendom utility to examplecorp.com, and once the change is complete, I really do not want to have to physically touch each and every machine and manually join them to the new domain name.

Is there any way at all to change the domain that a client PC is using with a script, or a command prompt entry, or anything of the sort? All of the PC names will be staying the same, I just want to change PC1.example.asi to PC1.examplecorp.com without having to touch the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday, December 11, 2016 8:03 PM

All replies

• Nevermind - I see now that domain joined machines will change on their own when the domain name is changed after they are rebooted twice. Don't know how I missed that!!!
    • Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:51 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2016 8:54 PM
  • Hi,
    Thank you for the update, and we would appreciate you to mark your update as answer, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 12, 2016 6:41 AM