none
Other workloads backed up to Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• I am using DPM 2012 R2 to backup several SQL databases to Azure. I was hoping to get my Sharepoint backups and Active Directory backups (system state) to Azure as well, but it looks like DPM does not support online backups of these workloads. Am I missing something or is there guidance on when this will be supported? I guess for now my only off-site option with these is tapes? Thank you.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The DPM product group is considering adding additional workloads over time. Yes, tape or secondary protection are alternate offsite options at the moment.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 14, 2014 12:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The DPM product group is considering adding additional workloads over time. Yes, tape or secondary protection are alternate offsite options at the moment.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, March 14, 2014 12:06 AM
  • I am using DPM 2012 R2 to backup several SQL databases to Azure. I was hoping to get my Sharepoint backups and Active Directory backups (system state) to Azure as well, but it looks like DPM does not support online backups of these workloads. Am I missing something or is there guidance on when this will be supported? I guess for now my only off-site option with these is tapes? Thank you.
    Another option for now is look at using something like Firestreamer and push the data up to Azure storage. Here is an old blog post that could get you going in the right direction if you want to do that.

http://flemmingriis.com/data-protection-manager-vs-amazon-glacier/

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.systemcenterportal.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Thanks for the responses.  I'll continue to use my third party solution until Microsoft completes their implementation of Azure backup.
    Monday, March 17, 2014 2:08 PM