none
Connecting a Windows 7 laptop to another Windows machine via a Wifi Router and a Switch in a small office network

Question

• I work in a small office that has a Windows 7 PC that is being used as a Fileserver.

Using my Mac laptop, I can connect to the Fileserver PC with no problems, but am unable to do so, using a Windows 7 laptop. The problem seems to be that the Fileserver is connected to the WiFi Router via a Switch.

When I create a Network Map, I see this:

My W7 Laptop   =  =  =  =  =   WiFi Router  ______________  Internet

|

Fileserver       ___________     Switch

Other PCs connected to the Network, show up at the bottom, in the list of devices that cannot be placed on the map.

I have Admin privileges for all devices. How can I fix this problem?

Saturday, April 15, 2017 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We can try network troubleshooter tools and check if it helps.

The built-in troubleshooting features of Windows 7 can help you resolve most matters quickly. However, you’ll occasionally encounter other issues that can’t be so quickly or easily resolved.

Consider this: There’s a system that’s one of many running on a fairly complex small business network. The network has a single router and multiple network switches. When the OS starts, the computer is unable to connect to the network or to the Internet. The computer is running Windows 7 x64 and has a single 1.0Gbps network adapter.

More information:

Windows 7: Troubleshooting Connections

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649373.aspx

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:22 AM
  • Tao,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not help.

I can successfully ping the Fileserver PC from my Windows laptop and both machines have the same Gateway IP address.

I also tried connecting the Fileserver PC directly  to the WiFi Router, rather than through a Switch but that did not help.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 7:14 AM
  • Thanks for asking, but sorry, no good news.

I can ping the Fileserver (Ethernet link to Router) from my W7 laptop (WiFi link to Router) and vice-versa. However, I cannot connect to them in Windows.

In particular, the Fileserver Network Map shows my W7 laptop in the list of devices at the bottom of the map, labelled:

"The following discovered devices(s) can not be placed in the map."

My W7 laptop Network Map shows a "? Unknown" connection to the Router.

My Router is an Asus RT-N66R WiFi Dual Band device.

As I mentioned before, my Mac laptop has no problem connecting to the Fileserver.

Monday, April 24, 2017 7:48 AM
  • Do you have a successful connection APPLE PC ----> ROUTER----> FILESERVER

but an unsuccessful connection WINDOWS PC----> ROUTER----> FILESERVER?

The switch was removed so that eliminated the hardware as a source of the problem.

And more than one windows PC has been tried?

And was the router reset or rebooted?

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN66R/

Perhaps this issue can be troubleshooted with ASUS:  https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Please let us know about any progress.

Monday, April 24, 2017 4:01 PM