Unable to start Access - Error 0xc0000142 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Community,

I have sequenced MS Access 2010 successfully and published it to my users. 
    When I'm trying to start Access I receive the following error: the application fails to start with error 0xc0000142.

I have already found this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2777003, but the value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation
    is already set to 2.

The Eventlog gives me this error 18005 The virtual application 'C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Integration\623EC041-3156-4C68-B200-BEC3E436878F\Root\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE' could not be started because the App-V Subsystem 'Virtual Filesystem' could not be initialized. {error: 0x7430090A-0x20005}

After that I checked the following article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/gladiatormsft/archive/2013/06/11/app-v-5-0-on-these-0xc0000142-errors-and-where-they-are-coming-from.aspx
    Unfortunately there were no "Result: Logon Failure".

So at the moment I ran out of ideas.

Here are some additional informations about my environment:
    Windows 2012 R2 RDS Terminalserver, Sequencer also Windows 2012 R2.
    App-V Version: App-V 5.0 SP2 HF5
    Startmenu and Desktop folders are redirected to a network share.

Hope someone can help me.

Thank you! 

Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:14 AM

Answers

• Dear Anton,

two possible solutions:
    1.) Sequence it with a Windows 7 machine, then everything works fine.

or

2.) Reopen your package for "upgrade" and save it. Then the packages name ends with _2, upgrade within management console and it also works fine.

Best regards,
    Holger

• Marked as answer by Hoba2013 Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:55 PM

All replies

• Does this happen on different servers? Are other app-v packages working on these systems? How did you sequence Access?

Regards, Michael - http://blog.notmyfault.ch -

Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Dear Michael,

yes it happens on all Terminalserver and yes, other app-v applications work as expected.

Here are my sequencing steps:
    Before Sequencing:
    I installed "Office Deployment Kit for App-V" on sequencer and all Terminalserver.
    Created a msp-file for the Office installation (setup.exe /admin).
    Added following exceptions to the Sequencer options:
     - [{Common AppData}]\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform -> Mapping type: VFS
     - [{Common AppData}]\Microsoft\Windows -> Mapping type: VFS
    Started sequenced Office installation.
    Deleted all FTA's (Access 2013 is installed locally on each Terminalserver)
    Published Access through App-V management server.

That's it. Am I missing something?

Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:05 PM
  • Just to be sure, did you sequence it according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2830069 ?

Is it happening also when there is no Access 2013 locally installed? This would proof that it's not due to the local Access 2013 Installation.

Regards, Michael - http://blog.notmyfault.ch -

Friday, December 19, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Sorry for the delay, didn't make it before. Yes I sequenced it according to the MS article.

I have not tested without a locally installed Access 2013.
    In the meantime I have opened a support call with Microsoft and we are currently working on this issue. I uploaded my sequenced package and my support engineer got the same error on a windows 7 operating system. So the problem seems to be related to the sequencing process.

As soons as I have new informations I will inform you.

Best regards,
    Holger

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 3:29 PM
  • Hello Holger,

Did you manage to resolve it? I have exactly the same issue with Appv5 Excel2010 64 bit.

Best regards,

Anton

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:48 PM
  • Dear Anton,

two possible solutions:
    1.) Sequence it with a Windows 7 machine, then everything works fine.

or

2.) Reopen your package for "upgrade" and save it. Then the packages name ends with _2, upgrade within management console and it also works fine.

Best regards,
    Holger

• Marked as answer by Hoba2013 Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Dear Holger,

I sequenced it on Win7x64 initially in according to MS guide.

But your advice number 2 worked perfectly - I would never figured it myself! (and I didn't dream that you reply so quickly :-).

Many thanks!!!

Anton

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:21 PM
  • I know this is a very old post, but i still wanted to reply to this because I also got the same error but all the possible solutions on the internet didn't solve my problem. After some time investigating I knew what I was doing wrong. During my sequencing I always performed a custom installation and then installed the software via a Cmd window, and this was the problem. Apparently it is not a good thing to sequence an installation that is run via a CMD window. I copied my command line to the Run window and recreated the appv package. And now I do not get this error anymore.
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:34 PM
  • From Start, search for msconfig 

Select System Configuration from the search results. 

On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click Disable all. 

On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager. 

On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click Disable. 

Close Task Manager. 

On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.
    Monday, August 17, 2020 12:18 PM