Disable Document Recovery in Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to disable Document Recovery for Excel 2016, PowerPoint 2016 and Word 2016 through Group Policy but can't find a way to do this.

I did find an option to disable the restore workspace pane (see below) but that doesn't disable the restore functionality. Is there a way to disable the restore workspace functionality in Office 2016?

Thanks

to disable the pane:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\14.0\common\restore workspace]

"RestoreWorkspace"=dword:00000000

• Edited by Fazundo Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:35 PM
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Fazundo,

Please open the Group Policy, go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Microsoft Office 2016 > Miscellaneous, disable the setting "Enable Smart Resume".

After applied the group Policy setting, confirm if the following registry key is created in the Office 2016 machine:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common\restore workspace
    Value Nme: restoreworkspace
    Value: 0

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017 5:33 AM
  • Hi Fazundo,

Have you tried my suggestion?

If you have any issue on it, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 25, 2017 2:10 AM
  • Hi Fazundo,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If my reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer to close the thread. It will help other who have the similar issue. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Winnie Liang

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:02 AM
  • the nuisance dialogue disappear after I set the registry entry (I am not so sure whether the key and value is case sensitive).

but the document recovery information panel is still there. 

I read some articles about the complicated autorecover file. The only thing I can remember is that it just save what has changed. 

My question is: is it possible to view the content of "what has changed" in autorecover file, since that is the most important information I can use to decide whether to save the recovered file or discard it.

I mean,  there seems to be many different version of the same file listed in the document recovery panel, is it possible to see a difference between the versions?

Sunday, July 15, 2018 1:13 PM