Word Mergefield format "one-digit at-a-time" RRS feed

• Question

• I have been supplied with a Word document Form from a business.  It includes a Table with eight columns (one for each of the 8 digits of numbers or letters that make up the account).  I have the account number.  How do I format the mergefield to display one digit at a time so I can complete each column individually?

I have something similar I did to display a SSN in the correct format here {MERGEFIELD SSN\# ##-##-####}
    How do I do it where it shows {MERGEFIELD AcctNo\# (first digit)} {MERGEFIELD AcctNo\# (second digit)} {MERGEFIELD AcctNo\# (third digit)} etc.?

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

• You cannot merge part of a field. You can either merge the whole field and then use vba on the merged document to split it up, or you can modify the data source to provide separate fields for the individual characters.

Furthermore protected forms and mail merge are mutually exclusive - see http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm

<Thomas2z> wrote in message news:0dd9acc1-5a3f-4dde-b02e-3b7ab47707ea@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have been supplied with a Word document Form from a business.  It includes a Table with eight columns (one for each of the 8 digits of numbers or letters that make up the account).  I have the account number. How do I format the mergefield to display one digit at a time so I can complete each column individually?

I have something similar I did to display a SSN in the correct format here {MERGEFIELD SSN\# ##-##-####}
    How do I do it where it shows {MERGEFIELD AcctNo\# (first digit)} {MERGEFIELD AcctNo\# (second digit)} {MERGEFIELD AcctNo\# (third digit)} etc.?

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Monday, July 26, 2010 2:06 AM
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:24 AM
  • As Graham said, you cannot do that.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Thomas2z" wrote in message news:0c6d8698-7281-4514-81f2-cc9d3b5eea83@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Graham:

How can I merge the whole field, but display only the first digit?  If this is possible, I'll then merge the whole field and display the second digit.

Is this possible?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:31 PM

All replies

• You cannot merge part of a field. You can either merge the whole field and then use vba on the merged document to split it up, or you can modify the data source to provide separate fields for the individual characters.

Furthermore protected forms and mail merge are mutually exclusive - see http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm

<Thomas2z> wrote in message news:0dd9acc1-5a3f-4dde-b02e-3b7ab47707ea@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have been supplied with a Word document Form from a business.  It includes a Table with eight columns (one for each of the 8 digits of numbers or letters that make up the account).  I have the account number. How do I format the mergefield to display one digit at a time so I can complete each column individually?

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com
    Posted via the Communities Bridge
    http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 8:24 AM
  • Graham:

How can I merge the whole field, but display only the first digit?  If this is possible, I'll then merge the whole field and display the second digit. 

Is this possible?

Friday, July 23, 2010 8:19 PM
  • As Graham said, you cannot do that.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Thomas2z" wrote in message news:0c6d8698-7281-4514-81f2-cc9d3b5eea83@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Graham:

Is this possible?

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Friday, July 23, 2010 11:31 PM