none
Application Server Timer Job is not running on a web server

Question

• We notice that these jobs "Application Server Timer Job" and "Timer Service Recycle" runs on all the servers in the farm except one WFE where CA is configured.

Ran commands to enable and start the timer server manually, but no luck.

Get-sptimerjob job-timer-recycle | Enable-sptimerjob

Get-sptimerjob job-timer-recycle | start-sptimerjob

We think the wsp deployments to this server is failing due to this missing timer jobs on the server.

Any guidance is appreciated.

* Re-ran the configuration wizard as well.
    • Edited by Bob2308 Monday, March 27, 2017 6:13 PM
    Monday, March 27, 2017 5:52 PM

Answers

• While I was at the verge of uninstalling and re-installing SP on this server, I ran this command, PSCONFIG.EXE -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

It brought all the missing timer jobs. I ran a PSCONFIG.EXE previously, but the above command seems to do the trick.

Thanks for your support, documenting this so it may help someone else.

• Marked as answer by Bob2308 Friday, March 31, 2017 1:01 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 1:01 PM

All replies

• I've seen this happen in instances where a dependent SharePoint service is actually disabled outside of central admin.

Pull up services.msc on the CA server, look for any services related to sharepoint or IIS that are set to "Disabled".  Enabling them may bring the service back to life.  This happens when the service crashes several times, and windows automatically disables it to prevent future errors.  You can configure recovery options in there.  So if you see some that are set to "Automatic" that are not currently running, you an use those options to do something other than just quit on the first failure.

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:34 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Harris.

I did a one-on-one comparison of the services between both WFE's, they match. Interestingly, the SharePoint timer service is running on from services.msc, but the timer job on CA is not found for this web server.

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:41 PM
  • Interesting, perhaps the jobs on the CA server were deleted.  Try these commands from the SharePoint Management Shell (admin elevated) to reinstall the default timer jobs

$farm = Get-SPFarm
    $farm
    .TimerService.EnsureDefaultJobs()

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:46 PM
  • I ran the above commands, the next timer jobs ran, but still does not show up in the history. Any other ideas on how to get the CA jobs back?
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 2:16 PM
  • This is causing our deployments and installations to fail. Anyone has suggestions on how to get the jobs back? Greatly appreciate your help.
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 2:18 PM
  • Sorry, I'm out of suggestions on this one.  But if the CA server isn't an active WFE, rebuilding it may be simple enough.
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 5:04 PM
  • While I was at the verge of uninstalling and re-installing SP on this server, I ran this command, PSCONFIG.EXE -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures

It brought all the missing timer jobs. I ran a PSCONFIG.EXE previously, but the above command seems to do the trick.

Thanks for your support, documenting this so it may help someone else.

• Marked as answer by Bob2308 Friday, March 31, 2017 1:01 PM
    Friday, March 31, 2017 1:01 PM
  • Hi Bob2308, 

Thanks for your sharing. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 7, 2017 1:22 AM