none
2012 r2 DC vhdx's on Clustered Storage Space / Virtual Disk with Write-Back Caching enabled

Question

• I went to promote a new DC on my Hyper-V failover cluster and got warned after reboot that write-back cache couldn't be disabled. I immediately shut down that new DC and now I have a dilemma: is this supported? My understanding is that "write-back cache" on my Clustered Storage Space is writing straight through to disk - to the SSD's (it's tiered).

born to learn!

Sunday, February 5, 2017 7:27 PM

Answers

• Hi AJM,

>> I immediately shut down that new DC and now I have a dilemma: is this supported?

It is supported.

And there is no need to worry about it as far as I know.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AJM Admin Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:31 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 6:37 AM

All replies

• Am I going to see corruption doing this? Is it supported? As soon as I promoted a new VM to a DC I got warned and shut it down just in case. The Tiered CSV virtual disks w/ write-back cache ARE writing through to disk - the SSD tier - right?

born to learn!

Sunday, February 5, 2017 7:50 PM
  • Hi AJM,

>> I immediately shut down that new DC and now I have a dilemma: is this supported?

It is supported.

And there is no need to worry about it as far as I know.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AJM Admin Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:31 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 6:37 AM
  • Did a huge amount of research and yea, this is fine. You have to make sure you're hardware is on the level, but as long as that's been checked then you're fine to ignore this warning.

born to learn!

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:32 PM