New SQL 2005 - Where has Query Builder and Copy Objects gone? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am sure there will be a simple answer to this but it has got me stumped.

Having to move over to Vista with my new machine so I am having to switch to 2005 version for my development but still upload to a 2000 server.

I have had a look at 2005, like the new Management Studio, however I ahve a couple of problems which I can not find the answer to.

Firstly, the SQL Query Builder, where has it gone? I often have to import/export data from Excel files and used to use the SQL query builder to create my queries. If I want to copy all columns it is fine but if I want to import select columns I find it easier to view a list and then just add the ones I want.

Am I missing something here?

Secondly, copying stored procedures, before when running DTS ther were three options, Copy Tables/Views, Data Using Query and Copy Objects.

I used the copy opbjects a lot as it was a very quick way of transfering a group of tables and stored prcoedures that I had created. This appears to have now been replaced with Copy Database, which copies everthing, can can not be used to copy from SQL2005 to SQL2000.

If I want to copy multiple stored procedures from SQL2005 to SQL2000 how is it done now? I have tried finding out but have not been sucessful.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Lee

Monday, July 30, 2007 9:49 AM

Answers

•  Lee Redhead wrote:

Hello,

Firstly, the SQL Query Builder, where has it gone? I often have to import/export data from Excel files and used to use the SQL query builder to create my queries. If I want to copy all columns it is fine but if I want to import select columns I find it easier to view a list and then just add the ones I want.

When run Management Studio open Database Engine Server , you'll have all the server objects in an explorer view, then "New query..." to open a window to write a select.

Lee Redhead wrote:

If I want to copy multiple stored procedures from SQL2005 to SQL2000 how is it done now? I have tried finding out but have not been sucessful.

Try database right click->Tasks->Generate Scripts

Or
    create a new Integration Services project with SQL Server Business Intelligence Studio and use "Transfer SQL Server Objects Task" ; with it you can transfer all objects needed.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 2:02 PM
  • The Query Builder is a bit 'hidden'.

In Object Explorer, right-click on the primary table, select [Open Table].

In the output pane, if the table is large, in order to 'stop' the data from displaying, click on the RED 'stop' button at the bottom of the pane. (Yes, we know that this is a pain, and it will most likely be fixed -but that is the way it is for now.)

At the upper left of the toolbar, click on the [SQL], [Criteria],[Diagram] panes as needed.

Again, in the Object Explorer, right-click on the database name, and select [Tasks]. There you can select either -Export Data to move tables and data to another server, or [Generate Scripts] to script out Stored Procedures and Functions, then EXECUTE that script in the other server/database. Explore and follow the Wizard prompts.

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:06 PM

All replies

•  Lee Redhead wrote:

Hello,

When run Management Studio open Database Engine Server , you'll have all the server objects in an explorer view, then "New query..." to open a window to write a select.

Lee Redhead wrote:

Try database right click->Tasks->Generate Scripts

Or
    create a new Integration Services project with SQL Server Business Intelligence Studio and use "Transfer SQL Server Objects Task" ; with it you can transfer all objects needed.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 2:02 PM
  • The Query Builder is a bit 'hidden'.

In Object Explorer, right-click on the primary table, select [Open Table].

In the output pane, if the table is large, in order to 'stop' the data from displaying, click on the RED 'stop' button at the bottom of the pane. (Yes, we know that this is a pain, and it will most likely be fixed -but that is the way it is for now.)

At the upper left of the toolbar, click on the [SQL], [Criteria],[Diagram] panes as needed.

Again, in the Object Explorer, right-click on the database name, and select [Tasks]. There you can select either -Export Data to move tables and data to another server, or [Generate Scripts] to script out Stored Procedures and Functions, then EXECUTE that script in the other server/database. Explore and follow the Wizard prompts.

Monday, July 30, 2007 3:06 PM