none
After fresh install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit then running Windows Updates it just keeps searching and never finds updates RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on an HP Envy m6 laptop. I went to check for updates due to the fact that this laptop originally had Windows 8.1. Windows updates just keeping Checking for updates with the green progress bar keeps turning and turning. I had this problem awhile back and there is an issue with two KB files which are windows update agents but I did not write them down. Does anybody have that information?

Thanking you in advance,

Dennis Sturgill

Thursday, August 25, 2016 11:50 PM

Answers

• Well in my particular case the only way I could get Windows Update to work was to perform a fresh install, turn off automatic updates then install KB3135445.  I rebooted then I ran Windows updates and I received 179 updates without a hitch.  I have recorded this scenario.  Hope this might work for someone else.

Respectfully,

Dennis Sturgill

• Marked as answer by dmsturgill Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:56 PM
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:56 PM

All replies

• KB3020369 (Servicing Stack Update) and 3135445 (Windows Update Client) are the two updates you are thinking of, but I haven't come across any issues using either or both of them. In fact, after installing both of those updates on a clean install of Windows 7 (either Home Premium or Pro), Windows Update checks for updates faster then if they were installed (without the updates Windows can take a few hours to several days to check for updates). personally, I would recommend installing those two updates, along with 2533552, 2670838, 2685811, and 2685813, by downloading them from the Microsoft Update Catalog, then installing them on the Envy m6. I would also highly recommend that you restart the laptop before attempting to install these updates (trying to install them after running Windows Update causes the local update install to "hang" while checking for installed updates. A restart fixes this issue).
    Friday, August 26, 2016 12:17 AM
  • psykoaussie,

I appreciate your response.  It looks to me like the only KB files that are appropriate are KB302369 and umfd 1.11.  I am trying this fix by installing the two files but it doesn't look good.  I wish I had recorded the fix for this but I am getting old and senile.  I remember one step that I had to take and that was to re install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit then after it boots back up to disconnect the data cable (Lan Line) and install one KB file then the next one.  Then reboot and check for updates.  That worked for me at that time.

Respectfully,

Dennis Sturgill

Friday, August 26, 2016 12:54 AM
  • Hi dmsturgill,

Download and Install the April 2015 “Servicing Stack” Update

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

Download and Install the Windows 7 SP1 Convenience Rollup

64-bit - http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/updt/2016/05/windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu.

If the issue still insists, I suggest that we could follow the steps in the link below to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/2509997

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 26, 2016 7:57 AM
  • Hello Mr. Fan,

Well I tried all the above and I still get windows updates just looking and looking and looking for updates.  I don't recall any operating system that would give this type of symptom.  As I have said I had a similar situation on another laptop that did the same thing.  This is like Deja Vu.  And the answer is eluding me.  I remember that I did a fresh install (again) and when the laptop booted back up after the initial install to install one KB windows installer version then to install another one although I am not sure if I installed one right after or after a reboot.  I will keep plugging away to resolve this issue. I appreciate your response.  It has a lot of good information in them.  I had posted in this forum previously and I wonder if I could do a search to find the previous post.  It's hell getting old and senile.  Take care Carl.

Respectfully,

Dennis Sturgill

Saturday, August 27, 2016 9:33 AM
  • Well in my particular case the only way I could get Windows Update to work was to perform a fresh install, turn off automatic updates then install KB3135445.  I rebooted then I ran Windows updates and I received 179 updates without a hitch.  I have recorded this scenario.  Hope this might work for someone else.

Respectfully,

Dennis Sturgill

• Marked as answer by dmsturgill Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:56 PM
    Sunday, August 28, 2016 8:56 PM