none
Enabling a tried and working method of Multicast (Auto-cast) on a WDS enabled Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have deployed a multi-site solution using WDS, DFS-R, MDT and WAIK.

The Deployment Share is located at D:\DeploymentShare$.

All sites have had IGMP multicast enabled.

Server-A has WDS, MDT 2012 U1, WAIK installed, distributing the deployment share to remote hosts using DFS-R in a hub to spoke topology.

Server-A works brilliantly with multicast and Server-A site.

Server-B (in this example) run WDS only and has the share replicated successfully using DFS-R. The workstations at the same site as Server-B boot from the correct server (Server-B) without any problems apart from it only runs in Unicast.

I have looked into this and used the following command on Server-B.

wdsutil.exe /new-namespace /friendlyname:"MDT Test Share" /server:Server-B /namespace:"DeploymentShare$" /contentprovider:WDS /configstring:"D:\DeploymentShare" /namespacetype:AutoCast

This command creates a successful multicast connection in the WDS portal on Server-B but when a workstation attempts to connect / create a multicast stream it fails then reverts to Unicast....

I have briefly spoken with Johan who advises he believes the above is correct so what is missing? Has someone else set this up the same way or differently? I do not wish to install MDT on any of the remote servers.

The article below implies a new-multicasttransmission is required as the WDS role and Transport service is enabled...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794874.aspx

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:59 PM

Answers

• Several problems.

Note: Please do not post questions as "discussions" in the forums.

I am not following your question here. You mention above that the path is located at "d:\DeploymentShare$" (with the Dollar Sign) yet in your wdsutil command, you do *not* specify the Dollar Symbol at the end of the path. You must be *explicit* , either the path exists or it does not. Please go back and re-evaluate your environment, and check again.

Here is the command I issue to my replication servers that to *not* have MDT installed on them:

wdsutil /new-namespace /FriendlyName:"Microsoft Deployment Server" /NameSpace:DeploymentShare$ /ContentProvider:WDS /ConfigString:%~dps0DeploymentShar
    e /NameSpaceType:AutoCast

Note that for the /Configstring I have used %~dps0 which is used within NT COmmand Shell scripting to specify the (short 8.3 ) path where the script file is located. Your Mileage May Vary.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:50 PM

All replies

• Several problems.

Note: Please do not post questions as "discussions" in the forums.

I am not following your question here. You mention above that the path is located at "d:\DeploymentShare$" (with the Dollar Sign) yet in your wdsutil command, you do *not* specify the Dollar Symbol at the end of the path. You must be *explicit* , either the path exists or it does not. Please go back and re-evaluate your environment, and check again.

Here is the command I issue to my replication servers that to *not* have MDT installed on them:

wdsutil /new-namespace /FriendlyName:"Microsoft Deployment Server" /NameSpace:DeploymentShare$ /ContentProvider:WDS /ConfigString:%~dps0DeploymentShar
    e /NameSpaceType:AutoCast

Note that for the /Configstring I have used %~dps0 which is used within NT COmmand Shell scripting to specify the (short 8.3 ) path where the script file is located. Your Mileage May Vary.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:50 PM
  • Hi Keith,

Before placing this as answered can we confirm..

The deployment share is located at D:\DeploymentShare on every server. In this case Server-A and Server-B.

The deployment share is 'shared' on Server-A as at D:\DeploymentShare as DeploymentShare$.

Your command you issue, is this issued 'on the server' without MDT directly?

wdsutil /new-namespace /FriendlyName:"Microsoft Deployment Server" /NameSpace:DeploymentShare$ /ContentProvider:WDS /ConfigString:%~dps0DeploymentShare /NameSpaceType:AutoCast

In human non techie terms what does /NameSpace:DeploymentShare$ refer to? The actual DeploymentShare share name (DeploymentShare$).

You mention the NT Command Path where the script file is located. "Your mileage may vary". Can you expand pls.

I appreciate the questions may appear to be fairly simple but I am also fairly new to MDT/the environment and learn as I go with all the blogs, notes available online. So close to a final solution so appreciate the support here where ideas are thrown around.

I would like to go ahead with a clear understanding to deploy tomorrow.

Many thanks,

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:10 PM
  • OK so I tried the command but received:

An error occurred while trying to execute the command.
    Error Code: 0xC1250100
    Error Description: The configuration string was invalid or empty.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:43 PM
  • Hi All,

I also note when running with my original command in my test environment on a VM environment the multicast will run but stream from Server-A even though the workstation connects to Server-B WDS Server...

Is this another problem?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:49 PM