Sending as a distribution list user by default RRS feed

• General discussion

• SBS2003 server that was just configured to use Exchange (previously using a POP3 connection to a Linux server).  The way it was configured before with the POP3 setup, 7 internal users were all setup in Outlook with the sales@domain.com email address.   These 7 users all 'send as' that address as they didn't have their own username@domain.com address.  Because of some runaway PST issues, we've migrated them to use Exchange and during this process are having some difficulty figuring out how to mimic the behavior they had before.

We setup a new distribution group called sales@domain.com, granted 'send as' permissions to the required users, and as long as they manually enter that address into the 'From:' field in Outlook it works great.  However, we'd like to Outlook just automatically send-as sales@domain.com without the extra step of having to manually fill in the 'From:' field. 

I've tried adding sales@domain.com as a secondary email address to the users properties in AD, but since that email address is already setup as a distribution group it won't allow it.  I'm wondering if it would be better for us to setup an actual user sales@domain.com with a mailbox?  Thinking that then we could add that address as a secondary to the required users and set it as the default, thereby letting them 'send as' sales@domain.com without any special handling.  In this case though, I'm not certain that these users would also receive the email sent externally to that address.

Any guidance or suggestions appreciated!

Thanks -

• Changed type bennypdx Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:05 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 3:20 AM

All replies

• I've tried adding sales@domain.com as a secondary email address to the users properties in AD, but since that email address is already setup as a distribution group it won't allow it.  I'm wondering if it would be better for us to setup an actual user sales@domain.com with a mailbox?  Thinking that then we could add that address as a secondary to the required users and set it as the default, thereby letting them 'send as' sales@domain.com without any special handling.  In this case though, I'm not certain that these users would also receive the email sent externally to that address.

"I'm wondering if it would be better for us to setup an actual user sales@domain.com with a mailbox?"

I hate to be a negative Nelly, but you will have the same problem (this email address is already in use).

I understand what you want to do, but it's not possible for the following reasons:

1. One user can only have one Exchange account.

2. A user cannot use another existing Exchange accout email address as a alias.

Your concern about receiving email (even if the above were possible) is valid.  If it were possible, who would it be delivered to?  Who would respond?  How would the others in the group know that a particular email has been responded to?

The one way you can work around this issue is to have all the users in the group log on with the same logon account (and therefore email address), in this case sales@domain.com.  So everyone in sales would have that email addess, they would all receive the emails addresses to sales@domain.com, but you still have the problem of tracking replies.

The standard method of solving this kind of problem is to create a mail-enabled distribution group, as you have done.  That's about as good as you can do.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 6:32 AM
  • there's maybe another way that comes to mind. Jack and Jill sign onto their PC as Jack and Jill however Outlook opens user 'sales' mailbox as the primary account, maybe also opens Jack's mailbox as an 'additional mailbox' for Jack, and Jill's for Jill.

You would need to destroy the distribution group, create user 'sales' (with mailbox), and then give Jack and Jill full permissions to the mailbox, including 'send as' permissions.

Logic seems sound, I think. Haven't tried it though. I'm not sure but it would seem that if Outlook is opening the sales mailbox by default then replies will be sent as sales, with the user also being able to select to send as themself.

The main problem I see, should it work, is the tracking of 'unread' vs 'read' items. This is however always a problem with such 'shared' access. As much as possible (but it's not always possible for me either) I alias 'sales' to one user who is responsible for assigning items to members of the group.

Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:27 AM
  • there's maybe another way that comes to mind. Jack and Jill sign onto their PC as Jack and Jill however Outlook opens user 'sales' mailbox as the primary account, maybe also opens Jack's mailbox as an 'additional mailbox' for Jack, and Jill's for Jill.

SG, my objection to this idea is based on the fact that two users can't share an Exchange email address.  Remember this is SBS2003.  I think it's different with Exchange 2010.

And, one user can on have only one Exchange mailbox.

Maybe I'm just not getting what you're saying?

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:34 PM
  • each user, including the sales user, would have a unique email address. You're simply fooling Outlook into believing the sales account isdefault for several people.
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I think we're going to be able to get the business to accept some changes in behavior and accept the fact that some manual steps will need to be done.  One other option instead of use send-as is to manually change the 'Have replies sent to:' field to sales@domain.com and have them just send from their regular email account.  This also seems to be something that can't be set to a default address other than the user's own mailbox, unless there's a way I'm not aware of yet.

Thanks again for the help -

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 4:37 AM
  • bennypdx,

Just to wrap this thread up, maybe choose one or two answers that most closely answered your question, or if none of the replies answered your question, but you think this thread is finished, maybe change the Post Type to "Discussion"

Thanks.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:26 AM