Outlook rules not running correctly... period. RRS feed

• Question

• So Iv'e noticed this in any version of Outlook so I am quite supersized there aren't any resources on it. So the issue is that when you create a rule and try to have it send emails to Deleted Items, by sender, domain, or subject, it only runs on a few emails... like maybe a few weeks ahead. Then I have to create another IDENTICAL rule appended "(+n)" to delete another few weeks worth. Doesn't matter how I create them. I'm using an IMAP connection and my email provider is 1and1... but I don't think that's relevant. Even if I open the Rules Window and re-run the rules it doesn't delete any more... any one know how to fix this?

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:36 PM

All replies

• Hi DataHLP,

Welcome to the Exchange Server forum. This forum is for questions and feedback related to Exchange server. Since your question is more related to Outlook, I'll move it to a more appropriate forum: Outlook IT Pro Discussions Forum.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:03 AM
  • Hi DataHLP,

Have you selected the option "stop processing more rules" when you are creating the rule? If not, please add it to your rule.

How about clicking on "Run Rules Now" via File > Rules and Alerts?

Besides, I would appreciate it if you can provide me with the specific content of your rules, this will help me analyze whether there is a problem with the content of your rule itself.

If the rule itself has no problem, then there may be other factors causing this issue.

1. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    2. Damage to the OST file can also cause this problem, so please recreate (delete) your OST file, Outlook will recreate a new OST file next time you start the Outlook client. Then test again.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 7:23 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, July 12, 2019 9:11 AM