Softgrid 4.2 to App-V 4.5 Server Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

How does one do an upgrade of the 4.2 server to the new 4.5 server on the same machine?

I insert the MSDOP disk onto which the latest MSDOP has been downloaded too (App-V file dates in October 2009) and then run the installer for the App-V server\Streaming and then I would hope to be presented with an option to update my existing server but instead it starts what appears to be a seperate install for the server. I can't choose the usual 554 port since the 4.2 server is using that.

I've looked on the web for some step by step instructions for how to do this but can't seem to find any, just the FAQ.

I want to do a test update to my test server: 4.2 standalone with an SQL 2005 Express DB and then if this works do the production environment of 3x VAS and 1x Managment point and a seperate MS SQL server which stores the DB when the clients for this are updated.

All clients connected to the test system are 4.5 clients.

Thanks for any help,

Martin Searle
    Monday, November 16, 2009 5:41 PM

Answers

• No I'm trying the management server install but it fails right at the end with a message about not being able to configure the data store and then rolling back. However my SoftGrid 4.1 servers management point is now no longer working although the DB is still there and the SoftGrid server service is started. I've checked that the Domain Admins group is allocated SA rights since I'm using a domain admin account for the install

The MSDE database is the original version as supplied with 4.1 so its MSDE 2000. I get the feeling to upgrade it to SQL Express 2005 but how does one do this, ie upgrade the existing instance to 2005?

Martin Searle
    University of Kent

Folks,

Indeed Upgrading to SQL Server 2005 Express or full edition was the key here and since its relatively undocumented how to do this I thought I would share how I did this for my test server. Here is the document I wrote for my site.

1. Stop the SoftGrid Server service
    2. You first need to look at the softgrid config file to obtain the name and location of the database and also the username and password of the account it is using to login to the database, the config is located in <SoftGrid Install Folder>\SoftGrid Server\Conf\server.conf. We need to know all this info since we will need to recreate the login after the update and we need to ensure that we migrate the correct database.
    3. Login to the database server we are updating using a domain admin account
    4. MSDE 2000 doesn't have any admin tools so we can maintain our database so the first thing we need to do is install the Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager Express from this website This allows us to see the database and do some management on it.
    5. Start the SQL Configuration Manager Express and connect to the server. Take a note of the Instance name you connect too since we will need to re-use this later. This instance is normally called SOFTGRID.
    6. Expand Databases to obtain the list of databases on the server
    7. Choose the database you recorded in the config file, normally it is called SOFTRICITY
    8. Right Click Choose tasks, then backup and backup the database
    9. Once backed up we can now begin the real work, first we need to detach the database from the MSDE instance. Right click the db, choose tasks and then detach, in the screen that pops up choose to disconnect the connections and the stats by checking the two checkboxes and then click OK. MSDE will then detach the database from its instance. Detaching is the crucial step here since it will allow us to do the update. Make a note of the path to where the db files are.
    10. We now need to remove MSDE 2000, Start Add\Remove Programs and then remove "Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SOFTGRID)". Removing MSDE allows us to use the same instance name for our new SQL Server 2005 install.
    11. Install your new SQL Server 2005, select the options you want, for SQL Server 2005 Express click the advanced options button, and when it asks for the instance name enter the one you recorded in step 4. Also use Mixed Mode authentication.
    12. Start SQL Server Configuration Manager Express once more and then connect to your new instance. We now need to reconnect our database.
    13. Expand databases, right click databases and choose attach, browse to where our detached database is located and then choose the database names MDF file (normally the same name as you noted in step 6). Click OK and the database should be attached to our new SQL Server. It will update it to work with SQL Server 2005 automatically.
    14. We now need to recreate our user details, so expand Security and then Logins. Right click login and choose New Login. Select SQL Server Authentication and enter the username recorded in step 2 and then enter the password also found in step 1. Clear the checkboxes, select the SoftGrid database (attached in step 12) as the default DB and choose English as the language.
    15. Also add in the domain group SoftGrid Admins as a new users and setup as in 13 but giving sysadmin rights. This will allow all authorized admins the ability to manage the database in future.
    16. EXPRESS ONLY: You now need to configure your express install to be able to talk to remote servers since SoftGrid will always treat the connection as a remote connection even if on the same machine. Follow the instructions on this webpage: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277 choose TCP/IP as your protocol. Also enable the SQL Browser service.
    17. You should now be able to restart your SoftGrid Server and it should start as normal. Connect to it using the SoftGrid Management console and you should be able to admin it as previously with no differences.

Hope that helps,

Martin Searle
    University of Kent

• Marked as answer by Martin 1331 Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:01 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Martin, It sounds like you may be trying to install the 'Streaming Server' rather than the 'Management Server' component. It can be a little confusing since the Management Server IS a Streaming Server as well, but when it comes to the installers, the 'streaming server' is actually the seperate Streaming Service (which at one point in time was called the Lightweight Streaming Service). Cheers, Danny
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

yeap, what used to be the "Virtual Application Server" in the past now is called "Application Virtualization Management Server". Probably not the best name..
    Falko
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:17 PM
  • No I'm trying the management server install but it fails right at the end with a message about not being able to configure the data store and then rolling back. However my SoftGrid 4.1 servers management point is now no longer working although the DB is still there and the SoftGrid server service is started. I've checked that the Domain Admins group is allocated SA rights since I'm using a domain admin account for the install

The MSDE database is the original version as supplied with 4.1 so its MSDE 2000. I get the feeling to upgrade it to SQL Express 2005 but how does one do this, ie upgrade the existing instance to 2005?

Martin Searle
    University of Kent
    • Marked as answer by Martin 1331 Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:56 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Martin 1331 Thursday, November 26, 2009 10:57 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Hello,

MSDE nor SQL Express is a supported production scenario and I do not believe the MSDE 2000 is supported for the 4.5, so an upgrade to 2005 would be a minimum...

Google around for it and I am sure you can find more than one solution for this.

See this as an example;
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811304.aspx

/Znack

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, November 25, 2009 12:27 AM
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:29 PM

Martin Searle
    University of Kent

Folks,

Indeed Upgrading to SQL Server 2005 Express or full edition was the key here and since its relatively undocumented how to do this I thought I would share how I did this for my test server. Here is the document I wrote for my site.

1. Stop the SoftGrid Server service
    2. You first need to look at the softgrid config file to obtain the name and location of the database and also the username and password of the account it is using to login to the database, the config is located in <SoftGrid Install Folder>\SoftGrid Server\Conf\server.conf. We need to know all this info since we will need to recreate the login after the update and we need to ensure that we migrate the correct database.
    3. Login to the database server we are updating using a domain admin account
    4. MSDE 2000 doesn't have any admin tools so we can maintain our database so the first thing we need to do is install the Microsoft SQL Server Configuration Manager Express from this website This allows us to see the database and do some management on it.
    5. Start the SQL Configuration Manager Express and connect to the server. Take a note of the Instance name you connect too since we will need to re-use this later. This instance is normally called SOFTGRID.
    6. Expand Databases to obtain the list of databases on the server
    7. Choose the database you recorded in the config file, normally it is called SOFTRICITY
    8. Right Click Choose tasks, then backup and backup the database
    9. Once backed up we can now begin the real work, first we need to detach the database from the MSDE instance. Right click the db, choose tasks and then detach, in the screen that pops up choose to disconnect the connections and the stats by checking the two checkboxes and then click OK. MSDE will then detach the database from its instance. Detaching is the crucial step here since it will allow us to do the update. Make a note of the path to where the db files are.
    10. We now need to remove MSDE 2000, Start Add\Remove Programs and then remove "Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SOFTGRID)". Removing MSDE allows us to use the same instance name for our new SQL Server 2005 install.
    11. Install your new SQL Server 2005, select the options you want, for SQL Server 2005 Express click the advanced options button, and when it asks for the instance name enter the one you recorded in step 4. Also use Mixed Mode authentication.
    12. Start SQL Server Configuration Manager Express once more and then connect to your new instance. We now need to reconnect our database.
    13. Expand databases, right click databases and choose attach, browse to where our detached database is located and then choose the database names MDF file (normally the same name as you noted in step 6). Click OK and the database should be attached to our new SQL Server. It will update it to work with SQL Server 2005 automatically.
    14. We now need to recreate our user details, so expand Security and then Logins. Right click login and choose New Login. Select SQL Server Authentication and enter the username recorded in step 2 and then enter the password also found in step 1. Clear the checkboxes, select the SoftGrid database (attached in step 12) as the default DB and choose English as the language.
    15. Also add in the domain group SoftGrid Admins as a new users and setup as in 13 but giving sysadmin rights. This will allow all authorized admins the ability to manage the database in future.
    16. EXPRESS ONLY: You now need to configure your express install to be able to talk to remote servers since SoftGrid will always treat the connection as a remote connection even if on the same machine. Follow the instructions on this webpage: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277 choose TCP/IP as your protocol. Also enable the SQL Browser service.
    17. You should now be able to restart your SoftGrid Server and it should start as normal. Connect to it using the SoftGrid Management console and you should be able to admin it as previously with no differences.

Hope that helps,

Martin Searle
    University of Kent

• Marked as answer by Martin 1331 Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:01 AM
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 11:01 AM