Preparing to move / copy / recycle is extremely slow RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to move, copy or delete html files using Win Explorer it is excessively slow.  I don't get this problem with other file types - only html ones.

Example:  I selected 10 html files (total 57Kb) and hit delete.  It took about 10 seconds for the dialogue box to appear then 80 seconds of 'preparing to delete'.  When I tried to delete 100 such files I got 'preparing to delete' for about 15 minutes.

When preparing to delete, explorer.exe utilises all available resources and pushes CPU usage up to 100%, all other applications that are running are effectively suspended.  Once files have been deleted explorer is slow to free up resources.

If I move / copy / delete other files such as xls, jpg, mp4 then there's no problem - only html ones.

I'm using Vista and all setting are normal with the exception of Search Indexer which is turned off.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Shells.

Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:26 PM

All replies

• Does the same thing happens in Windows Safe Mode? If not then there may be some program or Explorer extension that causes the slowdown. Autoruns will be a great help in locating one. You can use it to temporarily disable registry entries that may be responsible for handling html files. Then reboot your system and check if the slowdown still occurs.
    Friday, January 1, 2010 10:06 PM