Web Application with JRE 1.4.2_08 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

not really a new problem, but i didn't find a good solution yet:

We have a web app (oracle Forms based) which needs a special jre version, 1.4.2_08. On the client systems is JRE 1.5.0.6 installed. Wenn sequencing the Web link in IE i installed the jre and so on.

Result:

The sequenced JRE version ist only used when deleting HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID key on the client system.

According to a similar thread here i tried Kalle's suggested solution to create an empty key inside the sequencers Virtual Registry Tab and choosed the "Override local key" attribute.

No change in behaviour.

Does anyone have a good solution for this kind of problem?

IE version is 6.0SP2, Sequencer ist 4.1.2.

Best regards

Andi 

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hello Aaron,

sorry, but this does not work, i.e. it seems to be ignored by JRE 1.5/IE if you set the value to 0 and to 1 in an older JRE.

My final workaround for the problem ist based on the solution prensented here:

http://blogs.technet.com/virtualworld/archive/2007/08/14/troubleshooting-softgrid-with-process-monitor.aspx

To make the process more lean, i made this script entry in the osd file:

<SCRIPT EVENT="LAUNCH" TIMING="PRE" PROTECT="FALSE" WAIT="TRUE" TIMEOUT="">
          <SCRIPTBODY>reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID" /f</SCRIPTBODY>
        </SCRIPT>

This requires no href-statement, no mapped drives, no batchfiles and no regfiles but simply deletes the CLSID-Key with only one line of script. Not very sophisticated, but seems to work quite good and without interference of other webapps using the locally installed JRE 1.5

Best regards

Andi

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:10 PM

All replies

•  

Kalles solution should work but here is two possible solution that might work. (Haven't tried them though.)

Possible soultion 1

Pre-Seqencing steps.

Create the

• Create the KEY on the sequencer that you have to delete on the client in order to get it to work.

Sequencing steps.

• During the Installation Wizard, monitoring,  delete the KEY that you have to delete on the client in order to get it to work.

Possible solution 2

Sequencing steps

• During installation Wizard, monitoring,  Create the KEY that you have to delete on the client in order to get it to work

Post-Sequencing steps.

• In the Virtual registry editor, delete the KEY that you have to delete on the client in order to get it to work.

I hope it works.

Best Regards

Pierre Eriksson

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:47 PM
  • Hello Pierre,

solution 1 does definitly not work. While sequencing (seqencer 4.1.2) you cannot access the KEY via regedt32. The sequencer itself seems to "redirect" this key to another location.

I have still to check solution 2, but I do not really think that something changes, because removing the key from within the virtual registry does not remove the key from the clients registry while running the package. But of course I will try and come back with the result.

What I supposed to be the best approach is to create the empty USER/%%SFT_SID%/Software/Classes/CLSID key in the virtual registry with "override local" attribute. So I wonder why "override local" does not work in my case?

Best regards

Andi

Monday, February 4, 2008 12:21 PM
  • Hello Pierre,

I try the newer versions asap. Do you have a download link for a more recent TS-Client than 4.1.2.21 ?

I tried solution 2 now and find that it is not possible to create the Key Classes under HKCU\Software during monitoring phase. I get the message, that this key already exists. In fact, there is a key unter HKCU\Software named <SID-NUMBER>_Classes visible while opening registry editor during monitoring phase.

Do you know what this is about?

Regards

Andi

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:04 PM
  • Hello Pierre,

no luck so far :-)

Same result with sequencer 4.2.1.20 and workstation-client 4.2.1.21. I did a normal sequence (installed java 1.4.2 and the URL/IE-Link to the application) and added the registry key USER\%SFT_SID%\Software\classes\CLSID with "override local" under virtual registry, but the 1.4.2 jre is not loaded in ie.

Any further hint for me?

Best regards

Andi

Monday, February 4, 2008 3:14 PM
  • If you have a version of the Java VM already installed on your workstation you may need to override the JRE which is loaded in Internet Explorer. Hopefully this may work for you:

Inside your package add and set the following REG_DWORD value to 0:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\1.5.0_06\UseJava2IExplorer

And set this REG_DWORD value to 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Plug-in\1.4.2\UseJava2IExplorer

Check the versions I've listed here as they may not be exactly correct.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2008 11:01 AM
  • Hello Aaron,

sorry, but this does not work, i.e. it seems to be ignored by JRE 1.5/IE if you set the value to 0 and to 1 in an older JRE.

My final workaround for the problem ist based on the solution prensented here:

http://blogs.technet.com/virtualworld/archive/2007/08/14/troubleshooting-softgrid-with-process-monitor.aspx

To make the process more lean, i made this script entry in the osd file:

<SCRIPT EVENT="LAUNCH" TIMING="PRE" PROTECT="FALSE" WAIT="TRUE" TIMEOUT="">
          <SCRIPTBODY>reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID" /f</SCRIPTBODY>
        </SCRIPT>

This requires no href-statement, no mapped drives, no batchfiles and no regfiles but simply deletes the CLSID-Key with only one line of script. Not very sophisticated, but seems to work quite good and without interference of other webapps using the locally installed JRE 1.5

Best regards

Andi

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 4:10 PM