How to mount a mailbox store using .edb and .stm files in exchange 2003? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We have brought back our Old Exchange Server 2003 online to retrieve some mailboxes on a Mailbox Store Database. We have the backup copy of that Mailbox Store in the form of .edb and .stm files in which the mailboxes we need to retrieve resides. Now, how could we mount this Mailbox Store back in the Exchange System Manager using these files (.edb and .stm)? We have tried to restore these files on the same exchange directory as before but the Mailbox Store is not showing in Exchange System Manager for us to mount. Is this the right way to restore a certain Mailbox Store? Please help guys.

Thank You,

Arnel

Monday, November 19, 2012 10:36 AM

Answers

• Hello Arnel,

If you want to mount the database in Exchange 2003, you need meet these requirements:

Recovery storage group
    Server with the same name as the server that the database came from
    Another server in the same administrative group

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:58 PM

All replies

• if you are not seeing any store.=

Refresh it.

Or Try creating one.

-

Hoping the server is rebuilt in the same domain and same server name.

otherwise it won't mount

-

Follow below article

make sure . the state of the database is in clean shutdown

http://msexchangeguru.com/2011/03/02/databse-repair/

Satheshwaran Manoharan | Exchange 2003/2007/2010/2013 | Blog:http://www.careexchange.in | Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you ------------- I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:10 AM
  • @Noctis0791
    You already have a post open for this problem, so I suggest that you contiue with that one.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrgenerallegacy/thread/c80adadc-219c-4441-8cc3-f68b336207f5/#e94ca83d-f3d5-4c76-8876-c9cfd186f247

Martina Miskovic

Monday, November 19, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Hi Satheshwaran Manoharan,

Thanks for your response. Yes, this was the same Exchange Server on the same domain. There is no mail store on this server at the moment as this was just brought back from being decommissioned. Refresh doesn't show anything as well. If we will create a new mail store with the same name as our .edb and .stm files, new set of files would be created including .edb and .stm files. So, how we could use our restored .edb and .stm files in this case? Actually, we've tried this and we replaced those new created files by our backup copies but it doesn't work. 

Also, just to be clear guys. I'm not pertaining to the Priv1.edb and Priv1.stm but the .edb and .stm files created when a mailbox store is created.

Thank You,

Arnel 

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hi Martina,

Sorry for creating a duplicate post. I’m just thinking that it will be faster this way.

Thank You,

Arnel

Monday, November 19, 2012 12:59 PM
  • Hello Arnel,

If you want to mount the database in Exchange 2003, you need meet these requirements:

Recovery storage group
    Server with the same name as the server that the database came from
    Another server in the same administrative group

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Evan Liu Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:58 PM