SteadyState Settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am using Windows SteadyState on Windows XP Home Edition SP2.
    I have two problems with this application:

1. Even though I choose to lock an account, SteadyState still says "Unlocked".
    2. I cannot setup Windows Disk Protection due to problems with Disk Defragmenter.
    Whenever I try to defragment the disk using Disk Defragmenter, it stops less than halfway and says "Some files could not be defragmented. Please see the report for more details" or something like that. When I look at the report, there are no files under "Files that could not be defragmented".

Is there any fix for these two problems?
    It's possible to reinstall Disk Defragmenter, if that is what I need to do.

Thank you.
    Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:01 AM

Answers

• Hi Beethoven5th,

Haris7 is right, you can try another defragmenter. Such as VXP:

http://goldenbow.com/aftp/VXP_v722.exe

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

As I know, the “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option is implemented via mandatory user profile. When you choose “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig.

According to the symptom, it seems that the user profile could not be locked. Considering the current situation, let us modify the ntuser.dat file manually:

1. Rename the “C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\ntuser.dat” file to ntuser.man.

2. Try to lock user profile again.

Similar thread:

Locking User Account

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1792330&SiteID=69

Best Regards

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:25 AM

All replies

• For Disk Defragmenter it could be possible that files are in use and therefore it doesn't move those files. Also some files are locked as well. Which can't be moved at all.

There are few defragmenter programs which allows files which are in use to move when opreating system hasn't fully loaded. 

Hope this helps

Sunday, December 2, 2007 9:10 AM
  • Hi Beethoven5th,

Haris7 is right, you can try another defragmenter. Such as VXP:

http://goldenbow.com/aftp/VXP_v722.exe

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

As I know, the “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option is implemented via mandatory user profile. When you choose “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes” option, SteadyState will change the ntuser.dat of the corresponding user profile to ntuser.man (mandatory profile) and rename the profile folder to <UserName>.orig.

According to the symptom, it seems that the user profile could not be locked. Considering the current situation, let us modify the ntuser.dat file manually:

1. Rename the “C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\ntuser.dat” file to ntuser.man.

2. Try to lock user profile again.

Similar thread:

Locking User Account

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1792330&SiteID=69

Best Regards

Monday, December 3, 2007 10:25 AM
  • I'll download that tomorrow when my Internet connection is fast again. Right now it is at 10kbps.
    Changing NTUSER.DAT to NTUSER.MAN right now.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 6:22 AM