"The system cannot find the file specified" USB MADNESS RRS feed

• Question

•  

System: Vista Ultimate (32bit)

Have been running vista fine since release. Now out of the blue, I plug my external usb hard drive in, and its no longer recognized. This drive worked fine for a long time on this machine with this OS. (This usb external drive works fine on my xp machine currently).  So when i go to install the driver i get:

"Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

"Generic USB Hub"

This seems to be a widespread problem and I tried many of the suggestions, (browse to inf folder, del INFCACHE.1 etc) and even installed hotfix referenced in KB article 937187.

So i went to the device manager and removed everything under usb and rebooted.  Now it wont install the usb controller. It goes through the exact same cycle, where it says it found the driver but encountered an error while attempting to install it. 

Any ideas?

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

The hotfix 937187 has been replaced by hotfix 940199:

Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/en-us

For Windows Vista, you can download the update here:

Update for Windows Vista (KB940199)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=51F0EF25-280B-4613-A600-C61224BACD1C

Besides, this issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

1. A file system filter driver from a third-party is interfering with other filter drivers on the computer.

2. You installed the NETGEAR Storage Central software on the Windows XP-based computer before you upgraded to Windows Vista.

3. The Zetera Storage Class (Zetsfd.sys) filter driver is installed on the computer.

If this is your scenario, follow these steps to work around this problem.

1. Remove the USB device from the computer.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Backup the registry and modify it at your own risk.

3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. In the details pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

5. Click Yes when you are prompted.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Determine whether any unknown device entry is listed in Device Manager. If an unknown device entry is listed, delete the unknown device entry. To do this, follow these steps:

a.  Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and then click devmgmt in the Programs list.
    b.  Expand Other devices. Then, delete the unknown device entries.
    c.  Determine whether any USB device entry is installed incorrectly. If any USB device entry is installed incorrectly, delete the USB device entry.

9. Connect the USB device to the computer.

10. Click Start, type add hardware in the Start Search box, and then click Add Hardware in the Programs list.

11. Click Next. Then, follow the instructions in the Add Hardware wizard to configure the USB device. 

Important: If the USB device driver is deleted or is disabled, and if the LowerFilters registry entry is not deleted, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following message when you restart the computer:

STOP 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

You receive this Stop error because the Zetsfd.sys filter driver is referenced in the registry.

For more information, please refer to the KB 940267:

You receive an error message if you try to install a USB device on a Windows Vista-based computer that was upgraded from Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940267/en-us

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

The hotfix 937187 has been replaced by hotfix 940199:

Error message when you try to install a new hardware device on a Windows Vista-based computer: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/en-us

For Windows Vista, you can download the update here:

Update for Windows Vista (KB940199)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=51F0EF25-280B-4613-A600-C61224BACD1C

Besides, this issue may occur if one or more of the following conditions are true:

1. A file system filter driver from a third-party is interfering with other filter drivers on the computer.

2. You installed the NETGEAR Storage Central software on the Windows XP-based computer before you upgraded to Windows Vista.

3. The Zetera Storage Class (Zetsfd.sys) filter driver is installed on the computer.

If this is your scenario, follow these steps to work around this problem.

1. Remove the USB device from the computer.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Warning: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Backup the registry and modify it at your own risk.

3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

4. In the details pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

5. Click Yes when you are prompted.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

7. Restart the computer.

8. Determine whether any unknown device entry is listed in Device Manager. If an unknown device entry is listed, delete the unknown device entry. To do this, follow these steps:

a.  Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and then click devmgmt in the Programs list.
    b.  Expand Other devices. Then, delete the unknown device entries.
    c.  Determine whether any USB device entry is installed incorrectly. If any USB device entry is installed incorrectly, delete the USB device entry.

9. Connect the USB device to the computer.

10. Click Start, type add hardware in the Start Search box, and then click Add Hardware in the Programs list.

11. Click Next. Then, follow the instructions in the Add Hardware wizard to configure the USB device. 

Important: If the USB device driver is deleted or is disabled, and if the LowerFilters registry entry is not deleted, you may receive a Stop error message that resembles the following message when you restart the computer:

STOP 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

You receive this Stop error because the Zetsfd.sys filter driver is referenced in the registry.

You receive an error message if you try to install a USB device on a Windows Vista-based computer that was upgraded from Windows XP

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,

Yog Li

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Thank you very much Yog Li!
    I was experiencing the same problems as Jim and I followed your instructions and they worked perfectly.
    Too bad the Hotfix isn't available in Windows Update.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 5:09 PM
  • I have tried this resolution but it does not work for me.  I am running Vista Ultimate SP1

I have tried the Hot Fix Windows6.0-KB940199-x86.msu but this gives a message

"The update does not apply to your system"

I have searched for "Zetsfd.sys" it is not on the system

I checked the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}   there is no sub key called LowerFilters to be deleted

Every USB device I connect to Vista SP1 now fails with this error however if I dual boot the same PC to XP these devices all work OK under XP

Saturday, March 22, 2008 8:58 AM
  • I have the exact same problem with my Vista Ultimate SP1. I don't dual boot. Vista is quite the pain. Very disappointing.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 4:48 AM
  •  

I found a temporary answer to the USB problem.

After 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft support and no resolution

I decided to uninstall SP1 [KB936330]

At least Microsoft got this right the uninstall operation worked perfectly

I now have all my USB and Firewire functionality back.

Unfortunatly Update keeps trying to push SP1 back to my PC

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 12:42 PM
  • I made the supremely stupid error of removing the remnants of the SP1 installation as suggested by TechRepublic. SP1 seemed to be OK and I was running out of disk space.

However, I have just purchased a Iomega eGo 250 GB hard drive and I get the error "The system cannot find the file specified" for a disk drive. None of the suggestions I have seen work. I've tried the disk drive on other Vista machines (without SP1) and it works fine.

Can someone from Microsoft please help?

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:24 AM
  •  

Oh dear...  I saw those articles in Tech Republic.  I even took the time to write to the author suggesting that he may cause some folks grief with his helpful article,  no reply, but then I wasn't surprised.

I'm glad I hadn't followed the advice given by Tech Republic when I needed to uninstall SP1.

I guess you don't have a system backup pre SP1.

Can Vista's ability to recover previous versions help you?

I am still running without SP1.  Meanwhile Microsoft keep trying to download SP1 to me via the updates.

Friday, May 2, 2008 2:53 PM
  • I have the exact same concern as Akko54,It started after I installed intellipoint 6.2 and removed it after I did not like the specific drivers for my Microsoft mouse. Now startup is hit or miss and device manger still trys to install a ps2 mouse on IRQ 12 , EVEN after I disabled PS2 mouse support in BIOS. KB940199 must be written for some other OS..... I had to re-install Intellipont 6.2 just to get some functionality. Keyboard nav is not fun.Any ideas???????

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:53 AM
  • Akko,

I am having the same exact problem.

Did you ever find a solution?

Friday, August 1, 2008 8:22 PM
  •  

unfortunately not an answer you are going to like.  Uninstalling SP1 worked, as long as you still can.

A few weeks back my hard drive failed.   I had backups of my essential data so I decided to start from new.

A clean install of Vista Pro and then SP1, the good news is it all works fine with SP1 now. It definatly was not a hardware incompatibility that caused the original issue, but rather some event or software load that had happened during the life of the original Vista Pro OS.  That in itself is rather sad to think that your OS can get to a state where it is not possible to apply the Service Pack !

Friday, August 1, 2008 9:50 PM
  •  Yog Li - MSFT wrote:

Hope it helps.

What about those of us that had vista pre-installed and the was not an upgrade from XP  -- come on now - there has to be a reason that Vista cannot install external devices.  Any other OS (even ME at times) was able to install external usb disk devices without a driver.

I receive this error with every usb external device I connect - how can vista find the software for the device but not install it due to not being able to find the file?  Did you find the software or didn't you Vista?

Now I can see why vista was considered the 6+billion dollar mistake (maximumpc article)

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:07 PM
  •  

Thanks for the extra info..  worth a try I guess!

However my install was a complete Vista Pro on a clean disc, not an XP upgrade, and I have never used any Netgear product.  It's a while back now but I'm sure that is pretty much what Microsoft support assisted me to do at the time (I note the Article has been recently updated). You can read about my Microsoft support experience in an earlier post here, although I appreciate that Microsoft tried to assist this humble customer.

Monday, September 8, 2008 9:52 PM
  • The page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940199/en-us has a wonderful resolution (full sarcasm intended)

RESOLUTION

Service pack information

To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Vista.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I have Vista SP1 so unless they have released an SP2 - I am still at a loss to connect my external devices to Vista. 

When I attempt the hotfix, I receive the error "The update does not apply to your system"
    Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Sorry to hear that, I've been there too!

But as I have said before no answers that you will really like (yet)

Can you uninstall SP1 (That works!) then take a good system backup

I would suggest a backup and start from scratch, eg: Format disk, re-install Vista, then apply SP1, then load your programs (That solved it for me!)

Of course if you cannot uninstall SP1 you will not be backing up to a USB device, maybe a network disk or a second HDD ?

It is quite obvious that there is an event (software load etc) that has happened at some point during the life of Vista on your PC (and mine) that breaks SP1, but at this point there does not seem to be a fix.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 1:28 AM
  • Like others here I removed the uninstall files thinking I wouldn't need to uninstall the SP.   I did try something on my own that seems to work for my USB drives and devices

I went to the device manager and removed all usb devices and then restarted.  When I plugged in my USB drive I was prompted for the drivers - it failed again.

I then went to the driver install area and saw this was set to deny installation of "non-certified" drivers.  I changed this to prompt me instead of deny and guess what -- everything installed after prompting me if I truly wanted to install the driver. 

It appears the issue is SP1 makes it look like the drivers were not certified for vista and if you have it set to deny non-certified drivers and they won't install.  Changing this to prompt and allow the drivers to install worked for me.  Perhaps it will work for others having this problem.

If it works for others let this forum know so perhaps MS can issue a hotfix or KB article to assist others that don't use this forum.

Monday, September 29, 2008 5:58 PM
  •  

Great to hear from someone with a positive experience.

Could you please post the details of where this setting was changed

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:36 AM
  •  

I went to system properties, under hardware click on driver signing and select the option to warn instead of block.  Ok twice and then reinsert the usb device and allow the drivers to install when prompted.

Let us know if this works for you also as it did for me.

Friday, October 3, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Disabling driver signing solved this problem for me. This disable windows vista sp1's behavior to block drivers that are not signed. Here is how you do it:

1. Run cmd.exe as admin. By this I mean you right click the icon and click run as admin. You may find the icon in Start>All programs>Accessories and right click Command Prompt and click Run as admin.
    2. Type this or copy then right click and paste in command prompt:

Bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON

3. Reboot for changes to apply. The changes will not apply with a complete reboot.

Hope this works for others as well
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:13 AM
  • I tried the hotfix but it give me "The update does not apply to your system" error. I'm currently running vista sp2
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:48 PM