none
Many new Folders in Windows\Temp folder since Windows Telemetry turned on RRS feed

• Question

• Many of out network computers are have 20 to 100 new folders showing up in the Windows\Temp folder.  All of the folder's names start with tw- and are in the following format: tw-****-****-********.tmp.  The folders are all empty. I started noticing them after I turned on Windows Telemetry through a group policy.  I am not sure if they are from Windows Telemetry or might be from some malware, although several scans I have done with three different anti-virus programs have come back negative. 

Thanks for any assistance.

Friday, January 25, 2019 9:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please refer to what David H. Lipman said in the following link:

Unknown *.tmp files found in C:/ drive

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/189892-unknown-tmp-files-found-in-c-drive/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 1, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Utterly useless response which has nothing to do with the original question. It would be far more helpful to not answer than to post some junk.
    Friday, January 10, 2020 10:23 AM
  • I have the same empty folders in my %WINDIR%\temp folder
    (f.e. "tw-26c8-287c-76dd8d.tmp")
    I guess they are remnants of a Windows update, as they were only created on some dates, and weeks apart.
    They are removed by disk cleanup.

when you are still interested in who writes these, you could use Process Monitor and a file filter.
    Friday, January 10, 2020 3:05 PM