none
DPM 2010 and VSS error 207 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a DPM 2010 Server running on an Windows 2008 R2 Server

Currently backing up a mixture of virtual and physical machines, These are a mixture of Windows Server 2003 SP2, 2008 & 2008 R2.

Previously DPM had been a bit flaky, but this was believed to be caused by running out of disk space. A QNAP Server was brought and configured as an iSCSI target. After initial teething problems this is now working.

EXCEPT

Three of the volumes will not backup. They were part of  protection group but had no recovery points at all. I deleted them from their protection groups and have tried to add them back into their original protection groups. These 3 volumes all fail with the following error message:

An unexpected error occurred on DPM server machine during a VSS operation.

Error details: VssError:Shadow copying the specified volume is not supported. (0x8004230C)

The 3 volumes are on 3 seperate servers.

The 3 Servers are all running Windows 2003 SP2

The 3 servers have other volumes which are backing up successfully and consistantly

There are an additional 3 Windows 2003 SP2 Servers that all the volumes are backing up successfully and consistantly.

I can run shadow copies on these three volumes on the servers

All the servers are running the latest DPM Agents

All 3 volumes have spare capacity, Gig's rather than Mb's

The Storage pool on the DPM Server has two disks in its storage pool, the local disk has 10TB Capacity and 45% free, the iSCSI target has 55TB capacity and 78% free.

There are NO VSS errors in either the application or system logs (or that I noticed in any other log file) on either the DPM Server or the client Servers

I have tried adding to the protection group all 3 volumes at once, one at a time or one small directory, Or creating a new protection group and still get the same errors.

I have run Windows updates on these servers

As far as I can tell the drive permissions all look OK and match those on the other working volumes.

I know that having two disks in the storage pool is not ideal, and this will be changed but not until I have fixed the problems on the three volumes.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi I am not sure yet, but I received the same error after I added an additional disk to DPM 2012.

After removing the new disk the creation of my new protection group worked.

It seems DPM has trouble with more than one disk if there is lots of space available.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Debbie99 Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:28 AM

All replies

• Update:

Installed Server 2012 & DPM 2012 on a spare PC. Set up partitions so that 50GB was allocated to the C Drive and so Server 2012 & DPM 2012. The rest of the disk (100GB) was configured as an ISCSI target and successfully backed up a couple of small files from each of the volumes for the servers I was having problems with.

I am assuming that there is nothing wrong with with the client servers & volumes but what can it be?

Please help.

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:41 AM
  • Hi I am not sure yet, but I received the same error after I added an additional disk to DPM 2012.

After removing the new disk the creation of my new protection group worked.

It seems DPM has trouble with more than one disk if there is lots of space available.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by Debbie99 Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:53 AM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Well I decided to go for it. I trashed the old DPM Server and rebuilt as Server 2012 & DPM 2012, installed the agents and my 3 dodgy volumes are added to a new Protection group and backing up. Also only using the one disk in the storage pool.

Thanks Thomas

Thursday, March 28, 2013 9:53 AM
  • If this happens when u have more than one disk and lots of space on all the disks, create a simple volume using the unallocated space on the disk. Then the DPM will be forced to create the volume on the next disk. Should fix the issue.

Well, worked for me...
    Have 2 disks and 1st one had around 120 GB unallocated. I have created a simple volume using that space and now when I add a VM to a protection group, its creating the volume for that VM on the next disk.

Friday, May 3, 2013 1:35 AM