Exchange 2007 Export Without 'Metadata' or Otherwise 'Extra' Data RRS feed

• Question

• I've got two different users with two unrelated & very unusual problems.  No other users are reporting problems like this.  Both users are on different servers and storage groups - there's nothing in common other than the fact that they work in this office.  We've tried a number of things...

• disabled 1/2 the add-ins
    • disabled the rest of the add-ins
    • checked for custom forms
    • tested in Citrix & we were able to reproduce
    • ensured all updates were applied (Windows OS & Office Suite etc.)
    • created new mail profile
    • createw new user profile
    • reimaged machine
    • issued new machine
    • etc.

Yet the problems persist suggesting the issue may be in the mailbox.  We opened a ticket with Microsoft and they agree it doesn't sound like a workstation problem.  The belief right now is that there is something in their mailbox that's causing this abnormal behavior.  I've tried my hand at mfcmapi to poke around but I don't want to break anything, and Microsoft hasn't offered up any suggestions either other than to create a new mailbox.

So the plan is to create new mailboxes for these two users, but once its created, I'll need to bring all their mail back from their old mailbox.  Knowing this, I want to know if there a way to export & import the mailboxes in such a way that 'metadata' or 'extra' unnecessary data isn't exported/imported too.

For instance, if it was some corrupt view, custom form or some other data, I need to be sure it doesn't follow them in the new environment.

Is there a way to export data cleanly and import data cleanly without capturing mailbox rules, custom views, forms etc.?  Basically just copying mail and that's it!

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 10:08 PM

All replies

• Hello,

The Export-Mailbox cmdlet can exports all message types, including messages, calendar items, contacts, distribution lists, journal entries, tasks, notes, and documents, and it will not export rules.

So you can use it to export all messages.

How to Export Mailbox Data

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb266964(v=exchg.80).aspx

Thanks,

Evan Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Evan Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 3, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Thanks for the response Evan Liu; Merry Christmas & Happy New Years to you!

I read that but it doesn't say anything about views associated with folder types or whether or not it also exports 'other things' too.

Thursday, January 3, 2013 1:05 PM
  • Happy New years to you!

If you don't want to keep the folder views, you can configure it to export folder by folder.

I think this is also a good way to help you find which folder have the issue.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com

Evan Liu

Monday, January 7, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Any updates on this issue?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Evan Liu

Sunday, January 13, 2013 3:21 PM
  • Happy New years to you!

If you don't want to keep the folder views, you can configure it to export folder by folder.

I think this is also a good way to help you find which folder have the issue.

Thanks,

Evan Liu

True & agreed - kind of tedious when dealing with a few hundred (literally - no exaggeration!) mail folders a few levels deep.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Will try normal export & import & see what happens.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Any updates on this issue?

Thanks,

Evan Liu

Evan Liu

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Thanks for the follow up on this Evan Liu.

For the two users I mentioned above, I haven't completed the export/import process & here's why: I was troubleshooting OOF for different user and after going through a number of different steps (below) OOF still wasn't working.

1. clearing all rules via MFCMAPI
    2. running a new-mailboxrepairrequest
    3. moving to a new DB
    4. moving to a new server altogether
    5. recreating the mailbox 2 times (exporting to PST, create new mailbox, import PST)

I created the mailbox a 3rd and final time & re-tested OOF: It worked!  But why now?

The only difference between the 3rd mailbox and the previous two mailboxes is that I didn't re-import the PST this time around.  I suspect there's a corrupt 'something' (email message, calendar entry, task, attribute, other? etc.) in there that's breaking it.  (Why else would it work this time but not the first 2 times?)

This is what I was afraid of: Exporting to and Importing from a PST has the potential to bring in erroneous and perhaps even extraneous data.

--------------------------------

So for these two users, I'm going to export their mail to a PST, create a new mailbox & let them work from the new mailbox, without their old mail, to confirm the issue is resolved.  If its resolved, then I'll try to import their mail manually.  If the problem continues, we'll revert to the old mailbox and figure something out.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:43 PM