Windows XP Getting Stuck at Shutdown RRS feed

• Question

•  I am having problems at work with some PC's not shutting down properly. I have about 60 PC's at work and to save on the power bill I have all the PC's set to auto shutdown with a auto shutdown software and I have the power settings set to auto on within the BIOS. The problem I have noticed is that some PC's get stuck at shutdown and when coming in- in the morning they are still stuck at shutdown. I have emailed users to please close out all apps before signing off, but ofcourse not all do this. Some say that they will have everything closed out but the PC will never shutdown or restart. I have the power options in XP set to always stay on and to not go into sleep mode because I figured some PC's were going to sleep and therefore could not shutdown. Does anyone have any tips on how to fix the stuck at shutdown problem?
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 3:04 AM

All replies

• Windows comes with a built-in shutdown program called 'shutdown'.  Try using this (put it in a scheduled task) with the /f parameter?  This forces shutdown whether programs are open or not,
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 5:54 AM
  • the specific command you would want is :

to shut down and turn off:

shutdown -s -t 0 -f

to restart

shutdown -r -t 0 -f

if you continue having issues run this on all affected macines

sfc /scannow

and then test for resolution

• Proposed as answer by WJDavis5 Monday, November 28, 2011 8:46 PM
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 6:07 PM
  • I believe, just like the others, that running the "shutdown" program should work. 

"shutdown -s -t 0 -f" should shutdown with "s" as a shutdown command, no time limit to wait, and forced shutdown.

"shutdown -r -t 0 -f" should do the same, except will restart, as WJDavis5 said.

Both responses are correct, from what I've seen. If users do not want to keep typing in this command in Command Prompt or "Run," then you can make a shortcut on the desktop, etc. that will do the same thing. When asking for the shortcut location, either type "shutdown -s -t 0 -f" or "shutdown -r -t 0 -f."

Hope this helps!

Sunday, July 3, 2011 6:44 AM