none
Why doesn't Project Schedule Assignments for resources with Proposed booking type? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are using Project Server 2010. We would like to place all of our project schedules on the server, including those which are still in a "proposed" state in order to get a more complete picture of our resource needs/constraints. We are not using the Lifecycle Management (Workflow) feature in project.

The resource availability feature in the Resource Center allows the user to select or deselect "proposed bookings" when looking at Resource demand and availability. This feature was tested on a Test project schedule and it does work.

Here's the problem we have encountered with real proposed projects: When a resource's booking type is set to "proposed" in a project shedule, MS Project will  not schedule the resource. My question is, why not? The whole idea is to get all resources scheduled on all projects (whether proposed or committed) in order to see where the over-allocations/resource constraints would be. How can we do this if Project won't schedule any resources that are assigned to tasks with a "proposed" booking type. What am I missing here?

Judy

Judy Washington

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:24 PM

All replies

• Click on the Resource quick launch and select a resource.  Once you click on Resource Availability in the ribbon you will see the resource load.  There is a check box on the bottom that says, include Proposed hours.

Is that what you are looking for?

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Hi Michael,

No, that is not what I'm referring to. That feature is on the Server and as I stated in my 2nd paragraph I know it works. My problem is within Project Professional. It will not schedule a resource that has a proposed booking type and I don't understand why it won't because that defeats the purpose of having a proposed booking type. The whole idea is to see what impact proposed bookings have on resource availability, as seen on the server. It makes not sense to me that proejct pro will not even schedule the task if it has a proposed resource.

Judy Washington

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:50 PM
  • Judy --

Like Michael Wharton, I am curious what you mean by the statement that Microsoft Project does not schedule a resource with a Proposed booking type.  Are you referring to leveling overallocations on resources with the Proposed booking type?  If so, click the Resource tab to display the Resource ribbon, and then click the Leveling Options button on the right end of the ribbon.  At the bottom of the dialog, there is a checkbox option called Level Resources with the Proposed Booking Type.  Select this option and click the OK button.  Since this is an application level option, you will now be able to level resource overallocations for resources with the Proposed booking type.

If this what is not what you are talking about, then you will need to explain a little further so that we can help you.  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:14 AM
  • Below is the exact quote from the PM who raised the question about why Project will not schedule a resource with a proposed booking type. Robert Travis has a proposed booking type. the other resources in the schedule have committed booking types.

"Project behaves differently for the resource “Robert Travis” than it does for any other resource. It will not automatically schedule his tasks.

I have a project on which I want to assign 3 tasks to him. When I do that, Project leaves the tasks right where they were and shows him as over-allocated. When I assign them to any other developer, it automatically schedules the tasks as I expect".

Hope this helps to clarify the question. Thanks.

Judy Washington

Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:44 PM
  • Judy --

Please re-read my last post.  Your PM apparently has automatic leveling enabled in Microsoft Project (not something I advise, by the way), but he is missing one checkbox option that will allow leveling of overallocated Proposed resources.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:20 AM
  • Hi Dale,

All of our projects have the levelling option set for Manual, and the option that allows for allocation of proposed resources is unchecked. That being said, the PM's question was not about levelling. He stated that when he assigned a task to a proposed resource, Project would not apply any hours to the resource as it does with committed resources. He had not even tried to level any resources yet. He was simply building his project schedule.

thanks.

Judy Washington

• Edited by Judy IPD Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:21 PM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 12:41 PM
  • Judy --

I have never ever seen what your PM is describing.  In Microsoft Project when used with Project Server, if you assign a resource to a task, the software makes the resource assignment regardless of whether the resource is Proposed or Committed.  Have you actually seen with your own eyes what the PM is describing?  If so, can you confirm what the PM describes is what you are also seeing?  The verbal description of the problem by the PM is just not giving us enough information to help.  If possible, could you take a look at what the PM is doing and report back to us?  And we will try to help, as always.

Let us know what you find.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 24, 2013 7:59 PM
  • Hi Dale,  I realize this is quite old, but my colleague and I are actually wondering if it possible to allow project in conjunction with project server to "exclude" proposed bookings from the total resource availability to do some what it planning within project pro.  We realize we can look at the PS capacity planning view and portfolio analysis on the server side, but it would be really helpful to create a plan with proposed generic resources to come up with a timeline.  Ideally we would only want to consider the committed time for the generics in the planning engine in MS Pro.

The issue for us is that if we have 4 or 5 projects with the similar generics used, it seems them as over capacity.  Maybe we are looking at this wrong?  

Best Regards,

Bob

Thursday, April 27, 2017 7:35 PM
  • Bob --

No, what you want to do is not possible.  Sorry.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Saturday, April 29, 2017 10:17 PM