none
Conditional Formatting ? RRS feed

• Question

• In the Gantt Chart display, can I use conditional formatting to (for example) change the colour of a task name based on some condition, eg a finish date in the past ? 

I can use filtering on the date column to show late tasks, but I want to produce a task list for each resource that shows all tasks assigned to them, but with any late tasks highlighted.  

Monday, October 23, 2017 9:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Angus,

Are you refering to MS Project?

If yes, you can do conditional formatting from the FORMAT tab, "text styles", but it is restricted to a limited type of tasks (critical, milestones, etc...). If you do want to format task name for late tasks, it will be VBA code.

A workaround would be to color the task bar in the Gantt chart instead on the task name, using flags.

http://psbehindthescene.blogspot.fr/2015/06/formatting-gantt-chart-using-task-status.html

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

• Marked as answer by Angus Denny Monday, October 23, 2017 3:44 PM
    Monday, October 23, 2017 10:19 AM
  • Hi Guillaume

Thank you for your prompt response.  I will work through your instructions and see if it does what I need.

Thank You !

Monday, October 23, 2017 11:05 AM
  • Ok I have followed through your instructions and it does pretty much what I want.  I have ended up using the

'iif([status]=n,YES,NO)' formula in a flag column, filtering by 'Yes', and then manually formatting the column background.

A couple of questions:

If I wanted to change what is displayed in the column from Yes / No, to some other text eg 'Late' how would I do that ? 

If I wanted to use VBA code can you point me to some assistance ?

Thank you

Angus

Monday, October 23, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi Angus,

1- You can only change the Gantt bar style by using FLAG. So only YES/NO values can be used. That being said, you can show the STATUS column and it will be relevant since your flags are based on this column.

2- I think some of the best experts of Project VBA are around on this forum: John, Rod, Barbara. I'd suggest to mark this thread as answer to close it, and recreate a new question focused on the VBA side.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Monday, October 23, 2017 2:49 PM