none
Microsoft Update Catalog problems RRS feed

• Question

• Is anyone else having problems clicking on the browse button after being UAC'd when attempting to download a file from the Catalog?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/DownloadInformation.aspx

In addition, even if UAC works, I get a cryptic proxy prompt asking me to enter my credentials to the "proxy-server."

I can't be the only one experience this. This is with Internet Explorer 8.x.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 6:13 PM

All replies

• Do you use any proxy? You can use command netsh winhttp show proxy to show the proxy.

Regarding UAC protection, you can disable it temporarily for a test.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Yes. We are using Threat Management Gateway as our proxy server. Interestingly, even when I place the FQDN catalog.microsoft.com in a rule where authentication is disabled, UAC still doesn't work right.
    Monday, April 8, 2013 2:34 PM
  • Is anyone else having problems clicking on the browse button after being UAC'd when attempting to download a file from the Catalog?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/DownloadInformation.aspx

In addition, even if UAC works, I get a cryptic proxy prompt asking me to enter my credentials to the "proxy-server."

I can't be the only one experience this. This is with Internet Explorer 8.x.

I'm using IE9 behind a websense proxy.

Why does Microsoft insist on running addins just to download files?

Further, why does the browser need UAC to 'save' or 'browse' file locations?

Not even FTP was this complicated.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:00 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue. UAC prompt upon clicking "browse" when attempting to download files from my "basket". I've tried user, administrator, domain admin... I too am troubled by Microsoft's over use of ActiveX in situations such as this. I don't really care to give websites file system access -- thats what the browser's download capabilities are for. Why can't they do something normal like redirect the browser to the download. I am trying to download Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
    (KB2775511). Why this isn't available through normal WSUS mechanisms is beyond me.

I am not using a proxy, running Win7 x64, IE9,

Name:                   Microsoft Update Catalog
    Publisher:              Microsoft Corporation
    Type:                   ActiveX Control
    Version:                7.4.7057.249
    File date:             
    Date last accessed:     ‎Today, ‎July ‎12, ‎2013, ‏‎4 minutes ago
    Class ID:               {5AE58FCF-6F6A-49B2-B064-02492C66E3F4}
    Use count:              64
    Block count:            6
    File:                   MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll
    Folder:                 C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:13 AM
  • Hi Mike,
    Have u found the solution yet?
    I'm also facing same issue.
    Thanks.

Thura

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 3:46 AM
  • 

After poking around a bit, I concluded the issue was the download dialog not showing on the standard user's desktop when admin credentials were provided to the UAC prompt.  My 'solution' was to either run IE on the admin desktop or start it as administrator from the standard user's desktop.  Both ways allowed the download dialog to appear after clicking Browse...

• Proposed as answer by Verheek Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:47 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 4:46 PM
  • Unfortunately this did not work for me. Citrix is insisting we apply these MS hotfixes. Why is it so difficult to download these? Ridiculous on MS's part. No wonder our servers are out of date for updates when you can't even download them.

• Edited by megt1960 Friday, October 16, 2015 5:26 PM
    Friday, October 16, 2015 5:25 PM
  • Run as Admin didn't work for me but what did work was resetting IE and starting over.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:02 PM
  • Yep - Use Chrome to download. Funny how their own product doesn't work!
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 11:45 PM
  • Use Chrome - Any browser but IE - Works.
    Wednesday, December 27, 2017 11:46 PM
  • After weeks of searching that was the answer just use Chrome works perfectly! Thank you!
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:53 AM