none
Everytime I want to update the late Windows, it takes so much time (Stuck at checking for updates)

Question

• Note : This thread is not Windows 7 only, but for newer and older Windows versions

Guys, I'm really get annoyed about this. Is really Microsoft didn't have a solution that doesn't requires users to do complicated steps?

The problem is, when I want to update the Windows using Windows Update, the CPU usage kicks to full usage by svchost.exe

I have 2 laptop victims here :
    • Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E135 (Windows 7 Home Basic, not updated for 2 years) : Takes about 6 hours to show 120+ updates
    • Sony VAIO VGN-CR220Q (Windows Vista Home Premium, fresh install) : Takes about... I don't know... 2 days?
    • Sony VAIO VGN-CR220Q (Windows 8.1 Pro, fresh install) : Takes about some hours to show 50+ updates
    • Toshiba Satellite P750 (Windows 7 Home Premium) : For hours, checking for updates. Still unfinished.

Why the Windows takes so much time to just shows... a hundred updates? It is not thousand updates o_O

Well I know the CPU is so slow, but can't Microsoft optimized the process? I mean what are Windows doing? Why it takes so much time?
    • Edited by Smankusors Tuesday, May 31, 2016 4:06 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2016 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I quite understand your issue. Please follow the steps below to fix it.

1. Start the Windows in clean boot mode and uninstall all the anti-virus software temporarily due to security software may block the process.

2. If it doesn't work, please run the fix in the link below to fix it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows/troubleshoot-problems-installing-updates#1TC=windows-7

3. Reset Windows Update Components.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

In addition to that, the speed and performance of Windows Update also related to you network condition and hardware. Make sure no proxy server configured. As you mentioned, CPU is full load when performing Windows Updates.

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 8, 2016 2:31 AM
  • 1. This is fresh Windows and the only antivirus is Windows Defender... Should I turn it off too?

2 and 3 nope, I already that several times! The only solution is waiting for a long hours! Doing that just adding more hours ;_;

Is Microsoft didn't find the way to make the process faster? ._.

• Edited by Smankusors Monday, February 8, 2016 9:23 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. Our Microsoft is always improving our product so that we could bring the best experience to our customer.

As I mentioned in previous reply, the update performance depend on many reasons, such as network and hardware condition. For Windows Update itself, it is a fast , safe and convenient function. According to your description, the CPU is overload and we suppose that is the reason of the issue. You could use Process Explorer to check which process take so much space. "svchost.exe" has many child process in it and you need the tool to check the exact process.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:10 AM
  • OK here it is :

It's already 12 hours now...

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

According to your image, it is really the Windows Update Service that take so much space in your system. Since you have reset Windows Update components and the Windows in fresh but the issue persists, I suppose you need a new CPU with higher performance. At the same time, Microsoft will always make efforts to improve our product to bring the best  experience for customers

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Simon

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:57 AM
  • Ehm... May I ask you a last question?

Why we need such of high performance just for loading the updates? ;_;

Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:01 PM
  • I have the same issue and I have a quad core CPU, re formatted and re install Windows 7, 3 times already, no antivirus, since still in the process of getting all the MS updates, no other browsing is done. 

After Service pack 1 gets install, Windows updates get stuck in a loop "checking for updates" admit it, you guys broke it on purpose to push us on Windows 10... And yes tried all the tricks you mention in previous post and then some...

Thursday, February 11, 2016 3:32 PM
  • It is exactly not stuck, Windows Update something like still figuring out which is gonna be installed or something. The only solution is waiting for many hours! But why it takes so long?!
    Friday, February 12, 2016 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

Microsoft has a brilliant service called Background Intelligent Transfer Service. This service help Windows to check and download updates. You could read more information in the link below.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb968799(v=vs.85).aspx

Wish you have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Simon

Sunday, February 14, 2016 10:06 AM
  • BITS have done his job and now it is Windows Update job after BITS downloaded update details, isn't it?

There is no network activity, just CPU usage.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:27 AM
  • Right after I resumed my laptop from hibernate, windows update finished checking for updates! Goddamnit

13 hours and 30 minutes! Why it took so long >.<"""

And... 199 important updates, 598 MB - 611 MB
    • Edited by Smankusors Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2016 8:29 AM
  • Damn seriously? I'm downloading update now but, it is stuck at 0%! >.<"

The CPU usage kicks again, seriously microsoft?

I need to waiting about 13 hours again? >.<"

Thursday, February 25, 2016 5:15 PM
  • // of course they want the windows 7 out of the picture, is the toughest mule in the wagon, you don't want that if you wanna make money selling stuff every day. as for your problem : just kill the freaking thing man, is some shitty update  from defender  that causing all that. reboot , check for update, let the thing finish down/install , check again until nothing shows up. is for sure an update that is in the loop and causing all the trouble, you could saved all the trouble not looking for updates at all in the first place, and don't listen to microBoy who says get a new processor. as for the windows 10, don't bother because is the shittiest release they had in years, there microBoys are in charge of updates in all versions of the os with their attitude "we know what's best for you" , so "we install them and you can't do shit about it!"
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:50 PM
  • // I just came back to win7 from win10, was a shitty place to be. the microBoys will install the updates for you there and you couldn't do anything about it even on the enterprise version. as for your problem, is some update stuck in a lop or not installed properly. it will bounce back at some point after a reboot, always does!
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 7:01 PM
  • @stahtufiang why not just disable the Windows Update service on Windows 10? :)
    Tuesday, March 8, 2016 4:17 AM
  • Damn it, when I want to check the updates again, it is.... take a very long time... again >.<

Monday, March 14, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Damnit microsoft, seriously???! Even on system that equipped with Intel Core i7, it is... stuck at checking for updates for hours!

Well yeah for this system, I haven't updated for almost a year, but... You asking me to get the better CPU, and now it is stuck too! Goddamnit! >.<"

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 4:09 PM
  • Is automatic update on Win10 is the solution of this problem? Really?
    Monday, June 20, 2016 9:18 AM