Outlook 2010/2016 - crashing when sending empty emails (only for a specific mailbox) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have mailbox where I am unable to send emails without having Outlook crash, and this problem carries across different client computers. This only happens for a specific mailbox, and it does not help to run Outlook in safe mode(marked in yellow). My test client from the screenshot below runs Outlook 2010, while the user has tested it on two different clients who both run Outlook 2016 and it’s the same problem on all of them.

I have tried running mailbox repair requests and moving the mailbox between databases, but it has had no effect. I have also tried resetting the security permissions on the user object in AD.

Apart from recreating the mailbox I can’t come up with any way of fixing this, any tips would be appreciated.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                      APPCRASH

Application Name:                           OUTLOOK.EXE

Application Version:                        14.0.7189.5000

Application Timestamp:                  59b9ac22

Fault Module Name:                        MSVCR90.dll

Fault Module Version:                     9.0.30729.8387

Fault Module Timestamp:               51ea24a5

Exception Code:                               c0000005

Exception Offset:                              00059e89

OS Version:                                       6.3.9600.2.0.0.16.7

Locale ID:                                          1044

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=280262

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Outlook 2016 version of the error:

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 7:43 AM

Answers

• I have created a support request with premier support, I will post the results here.

Edit:

After running the Offcat analyzer it detected a corrupt auto complete cache, running outlook.exe with the /CleanAutoCompleteCache parameter seems to have solved this issue.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:15 PM

All replies

• Hi hanskristian,

Please access this mailbox in OWA, then send a test email to confirm if it can be sent successfully.

If there is no issue with email sending in OWA, we can try using Online mode in Outlook client to narrow down the issue: 
    In Outlook 2010, click File > Info > Account Settings, select Account Settings, in the E-mail tab, double-click this Exchange account, un-select the option "Use Cached Exchange mode". Restart Outlook 2010 with Online mode, send test email to have a try.

Feel free to let me know if there is any updates in your side.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion Winnie.

I forgot to mention that we have tested OWA and that works fine, but Outlook on the test client is already running in Online mode and still getting the error.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 8:17 AM
  • Thank you for the suggestion Winnie.

I forgot to mention that we have tested OWA and that works fine, but Outlook on the test client is already running in Online mode and still getting the error.

It is so strange.

Have you tried to create a new Outlook profile for this Exchange account? Go to Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles > Add, then setup this problematic account in new profile. Set "When starting Microsoft Outlook, use this profile: Prompt for a profile to be used". Use this new profile and confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Disable any anti-virus programs on the computer. On this same computer, setup another Exchange account (your colleague's mailbox), check if there is email sending issue in Outlook.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:38 AM
  • We have already tried that, including resetting the entire windows profile and using a different client. I also tried it on a management server which has a different AV solution and running windows server OS, it is the same there also.

The problem is only for this specific mailbox, but on any machine we try it on.

I am starting to think it will take longer to find a solution for this than to just do the work of creating a new mailbox and moving the content.

Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Hi hanskristian,

How about the issue currently?

Hope everything is fine now after you created a new mailbox for this problematic one.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 8:39 AM
  • I need to schedule it with the user, so I havent recreated it yet, but I will post the result when i have.

I hope it is not some content in the mailbox that is causing it.

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:18 AM
  • I need to schedule it with the user, so I havent recreated it yet, but I will post the result when i have.

I hope it is not some content in the mailbox that is causing it.

Thanks for coming back. Just feel free to let us know the results :)

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 10:29 AM
  • OK,

I have recreated the mailbox and imported the data by using the New-MailboxRestoreRequest cmdlet, but unfortunately Outlook is still crashing.

I had some issues when i was importing the main mailbox, and the error message indicated that the problem was related to rules located in the mailbox. I was able to bypass this and still finish the restore request by adding the "-AssociatedMessagesCopyOption Copy" parameter like in the example below.

New-MailboxRestoreRequest -SourceDatabase DBXXX -SourceStoreMailbox "878d5034-ca4a-4ee8-879b-xxxxxxx" -TargetMailbox "8dfb91d1-8cf2-448f-8e25-xxxxxxxx" -AllowLegacyDNMismatch -AssociatedMessagesCopyOption Copy

I am wondering if the whole problem can be related to these rules, as they do not show up either in Outlook or with the Get-InboxRule command.

This is a screenshot of the import error (when not using associatedmessagescopyoption).

Edit:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/hkong/2015/02/27/how-to-delete-corrupted-hidden-inbox-rules-from-a-mailbox-using-mfcmapi/

I have followed the instructions in this post to delete all the rules in the inbox. I didnt find any messages with IPM.Rule.Version2.Message class, so googled all of the ones with "rule" in them and decided to remove all of them. Unfortunately im still getting the same crash in Outlook as soon as i try to send an email.

• Edited by hanskristian85 Tuesday, November 14, 2017 9:52 AM New info.
    Monday, November 13, 2017 3:47 PM
  • I have created a support request with premier support, I will post the results here.

Edit:

After running the Offcat analyzer it detected a corrupt auto complete cache, running outlook.exe with the /CleanAutoCompleteCache parameter seems to have solved this issue.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 1:15 PM