none
Reload Windows 10 into a blown partition on a multi-boot system

Question

• How does one proceed to restore Windows 10 into a partition where the existing Windows 10 will not boot?

I am an independent developer, and I took a used Vaio back to the dealer that I bought from to track down some network problems.  The machine originally came with Windows 7 Home Prem Refurbished PCs, which I upgraded on the free program to 10.

While there, I asked them to create a clone of my hard drive onto a new drive, for backup.  Not only were they not able to track down any network issue, but they blew the backup in such a way as to render my Windows 10 partition unbootable anymore.  It goes into a system repair mode, which is unsuccessful, and none of the other Advanced options (Reset, Restore, etc) work either. 

The store offered to "fix" it for $80 by reloading Windows 10, but I'm not sure I trust them anymore.  Anyway, why should I pay them $80 to have them fix a problem they created?  I need this machine to multi-boot because I use it to develop portable applications that run natively in linux and Windows.

I am able to download the Windows 10 ISO with the linux boot, but cannot create the loadable USB drive from it.  I tried this on another Windows 10 machine that I have around, but it suffered errors trying to write to the USB drive formatted in NTFS.

What other options do I have?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Sunday, April 2, 2017 7:23 PM

All replies

•   There are two options. The media creation tool will create a USB bootable drive instead of an ISO if you request it. But if you already have the ISO, use Rufus (google it) to create a bootable USB of Windows 10 from the ISO.

Bill

Sunday, April 2, 2017 10:45 PM
  •  I tried this on another Windows 10 machine that I have around, but it suffered errors trying to write to the USB drive formatted in NTFS.

What other options do I have?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Insert that USB flash drive into your other Win 10 machine > click This PC > right click at the USB drive > click Format > under File system, select Fat32(Default) > click Start.

That will reformat your USB drive back to its default Fat32 with all contents removed.

Use your working computer to download your version of Windows 10 ISO file > burn the file to your USB.

Your USB should work now.

Sunday, April 2, 2017 11:34 PM