Lync DR Site Help RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully there is an easy solution for this.

Here is the scenario:

I have Lync Environment currently setup which is using Enterprise Edition. We are only using the basic services roles. In the DR site I would like to create a Standard Edition pool as a backup registrar. When the users failover will they have access to everything? Also what would be the requirement to get this setup? It seem to be pretty straight forward. Microsoft doesn't really have good white papers out there for this because everything relate to voice resilency but we are only using lync audio/video integration.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Ronnie,

When the user failover to the backup registrar, many workloads/features will be lost.

For a real disaster recovery solution, you can deploy "Metropolitan Site Resiliency Solution" which support almost all the IM/Presence, Conferencing, Desktop/Application sharing, even group chat.

This was discussed before: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/ac4181d7-45eb-4827-b2c7-57a596641b82

Turgay

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:45 PM
  • No, this would not work.

Considering that you have only IM/P and internal audio/video conferencing (no external access, no enterprise voice, no Exchange UM integration), one other option could be;

• Regularly export users' contact lists using dbimpexp.exe.
    • When the primary site fails (for a long period of time, and you want full client functionality) move users to the Standard Edition server with -force option or disable/enable again.
    • Import the contact list for the new users on the standard edition.
    • Change the DNS SRV records to point users to the standard edition server.
    • Re-assign conferencing and client policies.

You can give your users almost any features as they have before, but  any conferences created on the Enterprise Pool (main pool) will be lost and should be re-created by users.

When the main pool comes back online, you can do the reverse. Although this seem doable, it has a lot of manual and risky procedures and should only be done when the main pool really has an unsolvable disaster.

Turgay

• Marked as answer by Ronnie28 Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Ronnie,

When the user failover to the backup registrar, many workloads/features will be lost.

For a real disaster recovery solution, you can deploy "Metropolitan Site Resiliency Solution" which support almost all the IM/Presence, Conferencing, Desktop/Application sharing, even group chat.

This was discussed before: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ocsplanningdeployment/thread/ac4181d7-45eb-4827-b2c7-57a596641b82

Turgay

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Thanks Turgay for your quick response,

I am familiar with the Metropolitan Site Solution. However, we do not have the 20 ms and the 1gb bandwith that microsoft is requiring that we must have. I am using Neverfail to replicate the SQL data over to the DR site. If I replicate that data to the Lync Standard Edition SQL Server Express database, will it work then, if not what other solution can I use besides Metropolitan.

Ronnie

LyncAdmin
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:53 PM
  • No, this would not work.

Considering that you have only IM/P and internal audio/video conferencing (no external access, no enterprise voice, no Exchange UM integration), one other option could be;

• Regularly export users' contact lists using dbimpexp.exe.
    • When the primary site fails (for a long period of time, and you want full client functionality) move users to the Standard Edition server with -force option or disable/enable again.
    • Import the contact list for the new users on the standard edition.
    • Change the DNS SRV records to point users to the standard edition server.
    • Re-assign conferencing and client policies.

You can give your users almost any features as they have before, but  any conferences created on the Enterprise Pool (main pool) will be lost and should be re-created by users.

When the main pool comes back online, you can do the reverse. Although this seem doable, it has a lot of manual and risky procedures and should only be done when the main pool really has an unsolvable disaster.

Turgay

• Marked as answer by Ronnie28 Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Ok I got it. Thanks for your help!!!!
    LyncAdmin
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 8:23 PM