none
Windows Firewall service hangs RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I have a problem with Windows 10 (1703) computers. Randomly, especially after scheduled restart, I find WMI requests to such computers failing because of the timeout. Also "gpupdate /force" command will not work. I believe, that the Windows Firewall is blocking some traffic, because totally disabling the third-party security solution is not changing anything. By default, Windows Firewall service is running, but all firewall profiles are disabled. However, when the problem appears, I cannot even go into firewall settings from the control panel (clicking firewall icon will not display the proper window, also there is no error message). Tried "netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off" command, but it lasts forever and there is no effect neither. I could not find anything related in Windows logs. When trying to stop firewall service, this gets stuck in a "Stopping" status. Trying to kill the firewall process ("mpssvc") results in an immediate entire computer restart.

Is there any solution for this, besides of the entire computer restart? Even the proper restart takes several minutes and often have to be done with a "shutdown -f -r" command to take an effect.

Any help appreciated.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 8:30 AM

All replies

• Make sure report this through feedback hub app and if possible upgrade to latest build.

Run full scan with update Anti-Malware (e.g. Windows Defender).

Friday, May 3, 2019 6:07 PM
  • Everything seems to be OK, including system file checking. The computer has been checked against any malware. Windows version is 1703 and it is not so easy to make an upgrade on several computer in enterprise.

Any other ideas?

Friday, May 10, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Is this a computer with a lot of unique logins?  About 100 firewall rules get created for each user.

Friday, May 10, 2019 2:13 PM
  • Rather not, one user all the time.
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 9:30 AM