Script to force install for all Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. I am a total neophyte to scripting and forgive me if I am asking this question in the wrong area but it seems to be the correct forum. I am wondering if there is a script to force install all the windows updates? For instance, if I reformat a computer, reinstall OS then need to update all the patches and critical updates. I don't want to keep returning to the machine to click restart and check again and again. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 4:14 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you are downloaded the patch, a bat file can install without user interaction.

e.g.
    ###abc.bat###
    WindowsXP-KBXXXXXX-x86-ENU.exe /norestart /quiet
    ###########

If you are using other update methods, such as WSUS or SCCM or directly internet update patches, it is another story.

Hope it may help.

KAI
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Yeah, directly from the internet. Looking for s script to check windows update, download any critical patches, install them, then restart the computer and keep doing it until there are no critical updates left.
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:10 PM
  • System Properties > Automatic updates with Automatic setting will do what you want without script. But it may not start immediately

If you really wish to install the patches by one click, you may use MBSA to detect your missing patches and download it. Apply it with batch file.

Hope it may help.

KAI
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:51 AM
  • This is true but it will install everyday @ what ever time you set. Example 3:00 AM. I want it to do it right away. For example: Download SP3 then re start itself right away and check for more. If you are reformatting a computer, you may need to do this 10 times before they are all done. Is there a way to make the computer do it immediately after the install?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 5:08 AM
  • You could try this vbscript

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa387102(VS.85).aspx

and schedule it when you want to do the updates, if none of the above suggestions are quite what you want

Regards
    Alan
    • Proposed as answer by kai.bluesky Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by IamMred Saturday, March 13, 2010 2:10 AM
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:38 PM
  • There's an app that you can use to do this.  http://batchpatch.com
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:44 AM