System Control Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I run Visa Home and just in the last week an icon has appeared on my taskbar.  It is basicly an 'eyeball' and says System Control Manager. I recently downloaded DirectX. Is this an authentic Windows programme or have I downloaded a virus? thanks for helping.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:19 AM

Answers

• Hello Susan,

Thank you for posting!

For your concern about the virus, please perform a full scan for your computer using anti-virus software. You may also use Windows Live OneCare safety scanner:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ca/default.htm?mkt=en-ca

If the notification is confirmed to be not virus related, please try to double click or right-click it to try if you can learn more information about it. If a program open as the result of double-clicking, you may find the copyright information via help - about… or search in Internet.

Hope it helps! Have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 8, 2008 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hello Susan,

Thank you for posting!

For your concern about the virus, please perform a full scan for your computer using anti-virus software. You may also use Windows Live OneCare safety scanner:

http://onecare.live.com/site/en-ca/default.htm?mkt=en-ca

If the notification is confirmed to be not virus related, please try to double click or right-click it to try if you can learn more information about it. If a program open as the result of double-clicking, you may find the copyright information via help - about… or search in Internet.

Hope it helps! Have a nice weekend!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, February 8, 2008 9:22 AM
  • System Control Manager (with the eyeball icon) is part of the MSI system software. It is not harmful.
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 10:15 AM
  • I know it's not harmful... But I don't like it being there.
    Isn't there any way I can shut it off? It takes up room in the taskbar and it's just annoying, really.
    • Proposed as answer by fond42518 Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:19 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by fond42518 Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:19 PM
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:56 PM
  • I work @ MSI and i came across this item... So i called the tech department and explained me what it does.

SCM is needed to show what you do with your FN buttons, so display volume up/down, level of brightness etc.

The eye is meant to show it controls every thing, where as Taiwanese people do not refer to it as "espionage" so i explained them it does not shows what it should, but looks like spy-ware/virus.

There is no harm, and you can remove it, without loosing functions. But it will not display info on your screen anymore.

• Proposed as answer by Hexaae Monday, April 29, 2013 8:54 AM
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:21 AM
  • Thank you very much for the help

But, the thing is, it doesn't do anything - if I click on it, nothing happens, and I can't right click it to remove the panel, so, it's just a sitting duck, really. It doesn't show info and I can't remove it >_<
    Kinda like when you get a program that's not responding and the panel at the taskbar won't do anything at all.
    It's not up all the time, though, but, when it does show up, it stays there until I turn my laptop off.

Thanks again for the initial help ^-^
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:38 AM
  • Hi there,

What it does and what the people before were trying to say is that it is a graphical on-screen indication of whenever You use Fn key with one of the F keys, i.e. Fn+F3 is supposed to toggle touchpad, and when System Control Manager (eyeball) is running, it will give You a graphical OSD of touchpad being toggled. It also does OSD (on screen display) for the likes of volume, wifi, etc. So far I could not find a way to just disable the tray icon. If You, however, uninstall System Control Manager via Add/Remove software, the eyball will disappear alongwith OSD indicators, though the Fn+F combinations will still be operable.
    Sunday, March 15, 2009 2:16 PM
  • For what it's worth, in my win7 tray, I was able to right click on the eye and select end which closed it.
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 9:58 PM
  • No virus... it's an MSI program... to easily remove it from the task bar..... right click the task bar, select 'properties', then 'customise'..... scroll down to the system control manager and select 'hide icon and notifications'.  easy!
    Friday, April 22, 2011 10:08 PM
  • Guys.. First of all hi to every1.

Recently I've bought an msi fx603 and everything runs perfectly  but i've got some problem with volume button..

The "rising" volume button works but the "lowering" or shall i say "decreasing" button isn't working.

I called my supplier and they told me to search on forums cuz it's probably a software issue not a hardware so i should give it a try there 1st before i decide to send it to them to fix it.So i was wondering if any of you know how can i configure buttons on my laptop in system control manager... if it's possible at all... so power button is working, turbo as well,media as well and wireless... 1 of 2 volume buttons is working as i've previously mentioned so i wanna know if there's any way of setting it on my own... If I'm not clear enough tell me freely cuz i'm looking forward to your replies.

P.S. I'm having Windows 7 Ultimate

Thanks to every1 in advance.

Naps

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:44 PM
  • I know this post is old, but I too was curious of what the SCM did and ran a Google search this afternoon.  Raptorial explained it pretty well in detail I may add, so why would you just sit there like a dumbass and repeat your question after it was already explained?  WOW!
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Um, excuse me?  SusanLK did not repeat her question, so this nasty comment makes no sense.  If it is regarding the post left by NapsteRftw, this sounds like a different problem and should probably be posted as a new issue.  So again, this comment makes no sense.

Something I really despise is when people need help with problems and you get someone like LCW69 claiming exceptional knowledge and using profanity to make himself feel superior.  How is this helpful?  Thoughts like this you can keep to yourself - they don't help anyone.  Forums such as this should be safe for users on any level to get help with problems.

Raptorial's answer helped, but to everyone searching for info on SCM, I lose function with some of the Fn buttons after I close SCM, even though it sounds like the SCM was just supposed to be responsible for the display of the settings. But Rap's post was 2.5 years ago so something may have changed.  They all work fine as long as the SCM is running.

Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:41 PM
  • The "System Control Manager" is not harmful if it is genuine. However, be sure to run an anti-virus scan on it to check its authenticity. To end the "System Control Manager" application, go to the icon that is in the taskbar, and right-click it. Then, select "Exit" from the drop-down-menu. To prevent it from restarting on startup, open the "Start Menu" by clicking on the Windows icon that is by default in the bottom-left corner of your display. Then, view "All Programs", and scroll to the "Startup" folder. Then, locate the "System Control Manager" application that is in the folder, right-click it, and select "Delete". The "System Control Manager" application will not be deleted from your computer, but will not begin on startup. You can recover it by copying "MGSysCtrl" from "C:\Program Files\System Control Manager\" and pasting it to the "Startup" folder in the "Start Menu".

• Proposed as answer by fond42518 Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:28 PM
    • Edited by fond42518 Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:55 PM Enhance answer
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:28 PM
  • Hey, I just saw what you wrote and I don't think it's quite right...

If my computer doesn't have SCM the functions ECO and TURBO isn't working...

Monday, May 28, 2012 11:09 PM
  • Don't uninstall it - SCM enables the touch buttons on your notebook and a subwoofer (if you have one) - It's part of the manufacturer software.

If you don't want the icon to show in tray, just do this:

1. Right click on start bar > properties, choose button "customize" next to the "Notification area"

2. Find SCM icon, and choose "only show notifications" or "hide icon and notifications". This will hide the icon, but animations in volume/brightness will be still visible (even with the "hide everything" selected).

3. To remove animations (hints, balloons, whatever it names) in System Control Manager from MSI go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\System Control Manager\Image and rename (or delete - not recommended) the OSD folder.

Sunday, September 9, 2012 7:05 PM