none
New SCCM 2012 Deployment question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm in the planning phase of deploying SCCM 2012 on an infrastructure that is still currently running SMS 2003. I understand there are no upgrade options from SMS 2003 to SCCM 2012. We plan on a fresh deployment of SCCM 2012. My question concerns the current SMS infrastructure and if there is any preparation I will need to existing Clients, Distribution points etc. prior to installing SCCM 2012 on our network.

I will be starting with a new Primary site server and the old SMS server will be taken offline.

My main concern is the old SMS clients and distribution point servers. Do I need to be clean/uninstall the old SMS clients first? Should I remove all of my Distribution Points from the SMS 2003 console?  

My current SMS 2003 configuration is as follows. Our network is small enough to only need 1 Primary site that is configured to host all of the roles I need it to run.

1 Primary Site Server/SQL 2008

900+ Win XP and Win 7 systems

75 Distribution Points

If anyone has any links or suggestions I would be very grateful for any feedback I could get.

• Edited by jbolton99 Monday, May 21, 2012 8:21 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2012 8:20 PM

Answers

• I think I'd be tempted to use SMS 2003 to deliver the CM12 client since it's all in place and working.

Set the program as mandatory for the launch date and available now so that all clients cache the new client.  Then remove the boundaries off the old SMS site and add them to CM12's boundaries.  And I'd probably include the command line of RESETKEYINFORMATION=TRUE as it'll be a new hierarchy.

Anyway, that's one way to do it.  You could do others like leaving the new client on the DPs on their own share and run ccmclean on the old clients and use a GPO to install the new client.  Lots of ways to go about it.

Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:40 PM

All replies

• I think I'd be tempted to use SMS 2003 to deliver the CM12 client since it's all in place and working.

Set the program as mandatory for the launch date and available now so that all clients cache the new client.  Then remove the boundaries off the old SMS site and add them to CM12's boundaries.  And I'd probably include the command line of RESETKEYINFORMATION=TRUE as it'll be a new hierarchy.

Anyway, that's one way to do it.  You could do others like leaving the new client on the DPs on their own share and run ccmclean on the old clients and use a GPO to install the new client.  Lots of ways to go about it.

Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr

Monday, May 21, 2012 8:40 PM
  • I'm not 100% sure on this, but if I remember correct, you can't "upgrade" the SMS 2003 client. You need to uninstall the old SMS 2003 client, before you can install the CM12 client.

Ronni Pedersen | Configuration Manager MVP | Blogs: http://www.ronnipedersen.com/ and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Great idea's Brian thanks for the input! I will try to work one of those options in my deployment.

Thanks for the reply Ronni, I don't plan on trying to upgrade the existing SMS client to the CM12 client. A fresh install is the only option.

If anyone has any additional input or suggestions please post them. I appreciate any ideas you all may have.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 4:02 PM